Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
warburg
macrumors regular

Removing Photos from the Photo Library

I have a 3Gs iphone. Somehow a great many photos I don't want to keep have wound up in the Photo Library, and I can't find a way to delete them. How does one delete photos from the Photo Library or delete the entire Photo Library
warburg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:21 PM   #2
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
You can only delete the ones on the camera roll. You need to change the photo syncing setting within iTunes in order to remove photos off the phone.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:25 PM   #3
FXT 1
macrumors 6502

Take a look at the folder in which your unwanted photos are stored on your computer and just delete from there. Re-Sync your device and everything should be good.
FXT 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:36 PM   #4
warburg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXT 1 View Post
Take a look at the folder in which your unwanted photos are stored on your computer and just delete from there. Re-Sync your device and everything should be good.
What folder would that be? The photos seem to be stored in itunes, and I haven't found a way to delete them from there.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:44 PM   #5
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by warburg View Post
What folder would that be? The photos seem to be stored in itunes, and I haven't found a way to delete them from there.
When you originally put the pics on your iPhone, you selected folders to sync with. What I do is make a folder or folders that have the pics I want to sync and then sync with those folder(s). So, you could start over, and it would remove those pics.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:04 PM   #6
warburg
macrumors regular

Thanks all. I was finally able to get rid of the photo library on itunes. It was actually my wife's. We have a family plan and sync our phones together (The family that syncs together stays together ). I had to experiment somewhat in itunes to do this.

It seems odd to me that Apple doesn't provide a way within the phone itself to delete these stored photos. If you're away from the computer that has the itunes application where your photo library is stored, you are apparently stuck with it.
Old May 18, 2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Andruw91
macrumors regular

I know this is an old thread, but I am having a similar problem. I had to get my iphone 3gs replaced and before I did the only photos that were in the photo library were the ones on that I took from the phone itself. I had the rest of my pictures in folders separated by the date. When I got it replaced I restored the phone and I still have all the pictures separated in the folders but I have 844 pictures in the photo library. It is bothering me that I have that many in there and its a pain to have the same picture twice on my phone. I tried moving the pictures to a different folder, but I still have the 844 pictures in the photo library. Can someone please help me to figure out how to get rid of all these duplicate pictures in the photo library? I like it organized in the folders better since it is easier to find them. Thanks in advance
Andruw91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 04:22 PM   #8
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andruw91 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I am having a similar problem. I had to get my iphone 3gs replaced and before I did the only photos that were in the photo library were the ones on that I took from the phone itself. I had the rest of my pictures in folders separated by the date. When I got it replaced I restored the phone and I still have all the pictures separated in the folders but I have 844 pictures in the photo library. It is bothering me that I have that many in there and its a pain to have the same picture twice on my phone. I tried moving the pictures to a different folder, but I still have the 844 pictures in the photo library. Can someone please help me to figure out how to get rid of all these duplicate pictures in the photo library? I like it organized in the folders better since it is easier to find them. Thanks in advance
IDK if you were the same person posting about the photo library, earlier, but the pics in the folders are the only pics taking up space (besides the camera roll).
Old May 19, 2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Gjeepguy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by warburg View Post
I have a 3Gs iphone. Somehow a great many photos I don't want to keep have wound up in the Photo Library, and I can't find a way to delete them. How does one delete photos from the Photo Library or delete the entire Photo Library
Camera roll- all the pictures you took on your phone
Photo library- all of the photos you have on your phone(including folders and camera roll)
Folders- any folders that you have synced through iTunes.
Gjeepguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 02:08 AM   #10
meisterjager
macrumors member

I literally had this pop up around a week ago. I was originally only syncing with one folder, but I got this additional 'Photo Library' folder when I started syncing with 2 folders. It does seem rather pointless - This folder doesn't contain anything from Camera Roll, just mimmicks the two folders i'm syncing with.. the same folders that are right next to it in my photo album app.
meisterjager is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone