Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I have a 3Gs iphone. Somehow a great many photos I don't want to keep have wound up in the Photo Library, and I can't find a way to delete them. How does one delete photos from the Photo Library or delete the entire Photo Library :confused:

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK
Take a look at the folder in which your unwanted photos are stored on your computer and just delete from there. Re-Sync your device and everything should be good. :D

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Take a look at the folder in which your unwanted photos are stored on your computer and just delete from there. Re-Sync your device and everything should be good. :D

What folder would that be? The photos seem to be stored in itunes, and I haven't found a way to delete them from there.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
What folder would that be? The photos seem to be stored in itunes, and I haven't found a way to delete them from there.

When you originally put the pics on your iPhone, you selected folders to sync with. What I do is make a folder or folders that have the pics I want to sync and then sync with those folder(s). So, you could start over, and it would remove those pics.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Thanks all. I was finally able to get rid of the photo library on itunes. It was actually my wife's. We have a family plan and sync our phones together (The family that syncs together stays together :eek:). I had to experiment somewhat in itunes to do this.

It seems odd to me that Apple doesn't provide a way within the phone itself to delete these stored photos. If you're away from the computer that has the itunes application where your photo library is stored, you are apparently stuck with it.

Andruw91

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
Connecticut
I know this is an old thread, but I am having a similar problem. I had to get my iphone 3gs replaced and before I did the only photos that were in the photo library were the ones on that I took from the phone itself. I had the rest of my pictures in folders separated by the date. When I got it replaced I restored the phone and I still have all the pictures separated in the folders but I have 844 pictures in the photo library. It is bothering me that I have that many in there and its a pain to have the same picture twice on my phone. I tried moving the pictures to a different folder, but I still have the 844 pictures in the photo library. Can someone please help me to figure out how to get rid of all these duplicate pictures in the photo library? I like it organized in the folders better since it is easier to find them. Thanks in advance

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I know this is an old thread, but I am having a similar problem. I had to get my iphone 3gs replaced and before I did the only photos that were in the photo library were the ones on that I took from the phone itself. I had the rest of my pictures in folders separated by the date. When I got it replaced I restored the phone and I still have all the pictures separated in the folders but I have 844 pictures in the photo library. It is bothering me that I have that many in there and its a pain to have the same picture twice on my phone. I tried moving the pictures to a different folder, but I still have the 844 pictures in the photo library. Can someone please help me to figure out how to get rid of all these duplicate pictures in the photo library? I like it organized in the folders better since it is easier to find them. Thanks in advance

IDK if you were the same person posting about the photo library, earlier, but the pics in the folders are the only pics taking up space (besides the camera roll).

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
I have a 3Gs iphone. Somehow a great many photos I don't want to keep have wound up in the Photo Library, and I can't find a way to delete them. How does one delete photos from the Photo Library or delete the entire Photo Library :confused:

Camera roll- all the pictures you took on your phone
Photo library- all of the photos you have on your phone(including folders and camera roll)
Folders- any folders that you have synced through iTunes.

meisterjager

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
I literally had this pop up around a week ago. I was originally only syncing with one folder, but I got this additional 'Photo Library' folder when I started syncing with 2 folders. It does seem rather pointless - This folder doesn't contain anything from Camera Roll, just mimmicks the two folders i'm syncing with.. the same folders that are right next to it in my photo album app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.