Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Maybe it is related to the fact that the original powerpoint is a Office 2003 .ppt document migrated from XP (yes, I'm migrating everything to my new iMac), but the thing is that just by opening any .ppt file with Office 2008 in the Mac, the Finder shows that the Date Modified has changed. Silly.

Does anybody knows how to stop this annoying behavior? Word seems to be a bit smarter and does not alter the .doc files, though.

BTW, are you actively using NeoOffice, OpenOffice or iWork? Everything OK? I'm in a corporate environment and we must exchange documents back and forth internally and among customers. But my goal is to migrate all the XPs to Mac eventually.

Thanks,

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
Use QuickLook?

I think QuickLook should display PPTs and not change the modified, nor put it in Recent Documents.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
I think QuickLook should display PPTs and not change the modified, nor put it in Recent Documents.

Just tried it, it did not, as you said. Thank you. Nice tip.

Anyway, I suspect it is a Powerpoint 2008 bug or some setting I can't find somewhere.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Any other ideas about how to change Powerpoint annoying behavior? QuickLook works but often I just double click and end with a changed date.

Thanks

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
Shy of locking the files or setting the directory in which they reside to read only, I have no other ideas.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Shy of locking the files or setting the directory in which they reside to read only, I have no other ideas.

That would be really radical. Good idea, though, could be useful for other purposes.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.