Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
I like to set up my wife's iBook in our jeep for long trips for the kids to watch DVD's and I would like to set the audio up through the car stereo. Can I do this through the headphone out to an aux input in the stereo or do I need to boost the signal for the input into the stereo? Has any one done this or even thought about it?
Thanks

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
abhishekit said:
I use the cassette adaptor to do the same, works fine.

cheers
That would be great except I unfortunatley forgot to mention that it is a CD only player. The aux in on the stereo is for a Multi disk CD player. I guess I could use something like the iTrip to broadcast the audio to FM.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
the iTrip or similar will work great for that, i use the belkin one with my iPod since i have a CD player in my car

mattmack said:
That would be great except I unfortunatley forgot to mention that it is a CD only player. The aux in on the stereo is for a Multi disk CD player. I guess I could use something like the iTrip to broadcast the audio to FM.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
You should be able to run the audio out (headphone jack) of the iBook straight into the aux input of your car stereo. iTrip should also work and might be cleaner, but more expensive.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
iTrip...

Is too unreliable for what you want. If you're going to be travelling, it's a crapshoot if you're going to get interference or not. Definitely wire it in.

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
sandman42 said:
You should be able to run the audio out (headphone jack) of the iBook straight into the aux input of your car stereo. iTrip should also work and might be cleaner, but more expensive.
I have an ibook dual usb and I just finished putting the combo drive in i noticed a little button next to the audio out. Does anyone know what this is for?
Thanks

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
mattmack said:
I have an ibook dual usb and I just finished putting the combo drive in i noticed a little button next to the audio out. Does anyone know what this is for?
Thanks

It's the manual reset button. Shuts down the computer.

Only use in extreme crash scenarios. Otherwise, simply hold down the normal power button for 10+ seconds.

- J

mattmack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
San Francisco Area
Jedda said:
It's the manual reset button. Shuts down the computer.

Only use in extreme crash scenarios. Otherwise, simply hold down the normal power button for 10+ seconds.

- J
Thanks won't touch it. Kinda like the red button on the Zorg rifle from the fifth element

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.