Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jul 29, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Allerdyce
macrumors newbie

Help with setting up a MOTU Ultralite in Logic Pro 7?

Alright, I just got my Motu ultralite mk3 and I am not the most computer savvy person in the world. I'm usually not that bad with stuff like this but i've been having some problems. I think i'm following the instructions okay, but i am getting no sound through the interface. The signal seems to be going through, as when i record it shows the waves...you know the little jaggedy things that let you know you're recording, but playback reveals nothing to be heard. Likewise, i hear nothing plugging into the headphones or main out jacks. Can someone give me detailed instructions for an idiot?

I don't know if this is relevant but i'm working on last year's model of Macbook Pro with a 2.4 intel, 2 gigs of memory, running 10.5.6, and i'm using Logic Pro.

My attempt was plugging my guitar straight into the first input XLR/quarter inch with logic pro running. Granted, i don't really know what i'm supposed to do, so i could just be doing everything wrong.

Thanks alot!
Allerdyce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
LurchNC
macrumors regular

Hi,
I have an older version of the Ultralite, but I hope I can help.

First off, is it working on OSX? Can you hear iTunes ect? If not go to System Preferences > Sound and choose it under "Output" and "Input". If you still don't hear it, you might have a driver issue. Technically speaking, you don't have to use the unit as your system sound device to use it in Logic. They can each use seperate devices.

When you plugged in the Ulralite, the "MOTU Audio Setup" app should have opened. It looks like a microphone. This where you set your sample rates ect. Just leave them at the default for now.

Next open "CueMix FX". This is where you can set the input and output levels of the unit. I actually mute the input I'm using in Logic so I don't hear it twice. Weird I know, but that's how it works.

Assuming you have it working in OS X, open up logic. Goto Preferences>Audio. Make sure MOTU Ultralite is chosen as your input and output device.

Just note that you won't hear an input until you arm that track for recording. (unless you don't mute the input with CueMix FX.)

Hope this helps, I still get confused with all the setting in CueFX and Logic.
LurchNC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Allerdyce
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurchNC View Post
Hi,
I have an older version of the Ultralite, but I hope I can help.

First off, is it working on OSX? Can you hear iTunes ect? If not go to System Preferences > Sound and choose it under "Output" and "Input". If you still don't hear it, you might have a driver issue. Technically speaking, you don't have to use the unit as your system sound device to use it in Logic. They can each use seperate devices.

When you plugged in the Ulralite, the "MOTU Audio Setup" app should have opened. It looks like a microphone. This where you set your sample rates ect. Just leave them at the default for now.

Next open "CueMix FX". This is where you can set the input and output levels of the unit. I actually mute the input I'm using in Logic so I don't hear it twice. Weird I know, but that's how it works.

Assuming you have it working in OS X, open up logic. Goto Preferences>Audio. Make sure MOTU Ultralite is chosen as your input and output device.

Just note that you won't hear an input until you arm that track for recording. (unless you don't mute the input with CueMix FX.)

Hope this helps, I still get confused with all the setting in CueFX and Logic.

i did what you said, but i don't think any of those were the problem, theres still no sound coming from the output, even though the signal is going through. There's also no sound coming from ultrabeat.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:49 PM   #4
LurchNC
macrumors regular

Sorry I couldn't help more. Have you tried the Unicorn Nation forums?

http://www.motunation.com/forum/
LurchNC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Allerdyce
macrumors newbie

some people at motunation told me to go to cuemix fx and take it off mute, which i did, still didn't help. i can still hear itunes, but ultrabeat, any recorded stuff, whatever won't come through as sound. Ultrabeat doesn't even run the drum machine when i go to it and test the drum machine. The signal is STILL COMING THROUGH! Just not as sound! any new recommendations from anyone?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:29 PM   #6
JhamCT
macrumors newbie

I have the older Ultralite, and have had no problems w/ Logic.

Have you made sure to select the Ultralite in your Logic preferences as mentioned before?

I the CueMix console, have you mapped the output to main - 1/2, or headphones? It's a drop down option above the main output volume slider.

Have you tried with headphones? Do those have sound?
JhamCT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio