Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I got back from Lake George yesterday. I plugged my iPod nano 3G into my Mac mini, which runs 10.5.7. I was astonished when iTunes didn't recognize it. Finder knew it was there, though. The iPod spent the whole time in the car, which got quite warm.

Today, I tried to fix the problem, to no avail. I tried resetting multiple times and looked around in the diagnostics menu for a way to wipe the memory. After that, I used Disk Utility to reformat the iPod as Mac OS Journaled, after which both iTunes and Finder couldn't detect it. Finally, I tried to reformat to FAT, which didn't work either.

What are some possible solutions? Maybe a trip to the Genius Bar? Do you think I should just get a new iPod?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
if its still under warranty just call them up to switch that one with a new one or genius bar. Sounds like you performed quite a few diagnostic things on it, dont waste more of your time.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
It is most likely out of warranty, and I don't know how to find that out, and if I did, I'd probably be too lazy to do that.

I went to the Genius Bar and the guy, who seemed helpful, reinstalled the OS on the iPod. That didn't change anything, so I'm going to try restarting my Mac. If that doesn't work, I'll be taking the mini and iPod to the Genius Bar tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.