Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdventurousJosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Just out of curiosity, can my blackbook (2.2 GHZ, 4 GB of ram, GMA x3100) play sims 3?..like at all?

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
the gpu is where you killed it. I don't think it supports intel gpu's and even if it did the game would be very choppy with that card. It plays nice on the new Macbook 9400m's though

asphyxiafeeling

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Cali baby!
That video clip was from an acer laptop.

Anyway i have a white macbook early 2008 2.1Ghz 4Gb ram, and 320Gb WD 7,200 Drive. Mine also has the X3100 like yours.

It seems to play ok ish. Its only when you fast forward the time its slow. But if you don't want to play it all the time, and just want to go on for 1 hour or something, it works fine:D

In his defense, he didn't say it was a macbook playing the sims 3. he said it was a laptop with a core2duo 1.8 and the X3100.

wcalderini

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
If you really want it to be playable I would go the bootcamp route.
Did a similar install on my daughters MacBook, and the results were pretty poor running it in OSX on that config. You won't set any speed records on the windows side but it is almost twice as fast and FAR less choppy and playable under XP on the same config.
From what I have read, the MAC port of this game was pretty sketchy to begin with and I have even noticed a significant difference on my MBP when playing under Windows 7 as opposed to OSX. (Last years Aluminum model with the nVidia GT graphics processor and 256MB VRAM)

Anyway.
Good luck.
Boot camp is worth it in this case.

WRC

pica93

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
In his defense, he didn't say it was a macbook playing the sims 3. he said it was a laptop with a core2duo 1.8 and the X3100.

Yes i understand that, but you were giving him incorrect content by showing him that clip. As it said "this is the sims 3 running on the x3100 on low settings my laptop is acer aspire 5920 1.8 GHz core 2 duo 3 GB ram x3100 up to 358MB"

The macbook only have access to 144MB VRAM. and you have to bare in mind, Windows computer are running virus scanners and all other rubbish in the background. :)

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
I was not giving him "incorrect content." It was pretty clear what I was linking to.

That Acer should be similar to his MB.

I highly doubt that 144Mb video RAM versus a trillion gigs makes much difference with something as slow as the X3100.

And no one runs virus scanners in the background when playing games. No one who isn't dense anyway.

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
Ofcourse there is going to be a bloody difference. Have extra memory for graphics helps. As a gaming pc user. I have a Ati Radeon Card with 1.9GB Vram in total. It makes much more difference than just 1.5GB VRAM

IF you trying to say i'm "dense"! I would look at yourself, who is giving people links to videos playing games on a pc. Maybe you should of searched harder and looked for a MB video or not even bothered at all.

Its people like you that P**S me of on this forum! :mad:

You are comparing a "Radeon" card to an Intel integrated X3100? The fact that you omit which card the Radeon is tells me that you are a complete newbie because the brand name means nothing. If actually believe that the X3100 will benefit much from having more than 144Mb of video RAM at lower resolutions (which is how the OP will be playing Sims III), then you are "dense." BTW, what video card do you have that has 2 GIGS of video memory? Seriously?

The OP never said that he was not gaming on Windows. My link to the PC game in action is perfectly relevant and was not at all misleading. All that the OP had to do was read the contents of the page, and he would know that the video was of a PC game in action, on an Acer with a 1.8GHz CPU.

What ticks me off are poseurs like you who find fault about a perfectly innocent post by me. Next time, either use more tact or simply ignore posts that anger you because you're too dense to understand the point of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.