Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wow. :eek: Now that's a solar power system.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10300756-54.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

C|Net said:
The U.S. Army on Friday detailed what it expects to be the Department of Defense's largest solar energy project--a 500-megawatt installation at the Fort Irwin base in the Mojave Desert in California.

The solar power will be generated by both photovoltaic panels and solar concentrators, which make heat that is converted into electricity through a turbine. The equipment will be installed in phases, according to Clark Energy Group, which was chosen along with Acciona Solar Power to do the installation. By comparison, the generating capacity of a natural gas or coal power plant could be between 600 megawatts and 800 megawatts.

Ultimately, the base's solar power plant could supply 1,250 gigawatt hours per year at Fort Irwin, which among other things has facilities for training and for communicating with NASA missions. The average U.S. home consumes about 11,000 kilowatt-hours per year so the full Army installation could power well over 100,000 homes.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Glad to see the Military investing in clean energy and solar technology, instead of killing machines. Then again, this could be a front for the ultimate "Solar Death Ray.":p

Seriously though, independence from foreign oil is key for national security...

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
Glad to see the Military investing in clean energy and solar technology, instead of killing machines. Then again, this could be a front for the ultimate "Solar Death Ray.":p

Seriously though, independence from foreign oil is key for national security...

I want l clean energy killing machines :)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Though that is quite impressive. How many batteries will they be throwing out every year:eek:. They will need them or else the plant would be pointless at night or when it is quite cloudy.

I just wonder if they had put that money towards Nuclear Fusion would it have been figured out. So that we could have a truly clean energy.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Though that is quite impressive. How many batteries will they be throwing out every year:eek:. They will need them or else the plant would be pointless at night or when it is quite cloudy.

I would think it's reasonable to assume that, given that they have no real need for high energy density in their storage media, they can pick something with somewhat better lifetime. (Of course, in non-emergency situations, they probably can also flush excess energy into the grid and then buy it back at night). But you're right in the sense that overall environmental impact of clean energy is an important part of the picture and better metrics need to be developed so that it's a transparent part of considering (and reporting on) these projects.

I just wonder if they had put that money towards Nuclear Fusion would it have been figured out. So that we could have a truly clean energy.

To be honest, having worked in the past loosely in this area of research, I think it may work eventually, but I have serious personal doubts, based on the research, that injecting large amounts of money into fusion research is likely to speed up the development process dramatically. I think it's going to probably be realistic one day, but I don't think a billion or a trillion dollars could make it happen in 2012 or 2013 instead of 20-whatever....

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest

They don't need batteries, at the low power point, they will import power of the grid.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land

Now we have start talking about helium credits :D

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
Back to the future references... :D

Seriously though, this seems like a good idea and at the very minimum, a step in the right direction

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.