Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabre364

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
So In the past I have been using vmware but with some mouse freezing issues i've been looking for an alternative. I'm trying parallels, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to set up the virtual machine?

I can't seem to find the vmx vmware config file so I'm just letting it select my boot camp partition (vista already installed) to use...but it sets it up, and then when i try to start up the machine I get this error.

"Unable to connect Hard Disk 1.

A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

I don't know how to proceed, please help.

EDIT: I found this suggestion (below) online, and while trying to find the config file (couldn't find it) I just double clicked on the vmname.pvm and it mounted it or something and started up. I'll keep it updated if there are any problems.

"Found the problem.

-Edit /Users/<user>/Documents/Parallels/<VM Name>.pvm/config.pvs
-In the <hdd> section, find <SystemName>
-Change "/dev/disk0" or a similar value to the full path of the disk image in the same directory. In my case it was "/Users/<USER>/Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm/Hitachi HTS############.hdd"
-Restart the VM"

Kelly Craig

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Mouse Freeze?
Using windows 7>?

I love VMWare and will stand by the statement that VMWare kicks Parallels out the door hands down....

free2readme

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
This solution did not help me at all. I still get the same message. Unable to find disk 1.
Is there any other way?

I am using Mac OS X Snow LEopard and Parallels Desktop 7 for mac.

My name for Virtual machine is Windows 7U2 and the hdd file name was Windows 7U2-0.hdd
I dont know why the zero. Anyway, I changed the name into the disk name (external disk) WD Ext HDD 1021 Media.hdd as its named in Disk Utility.
Didnt work.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.