Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
I've been using my Apple TV with my Samsung HD TV for about 10 months. my Apple TV is connected via a HDMI cable and i've been renting and watching HD movies for 10 months..

NOW today i've rented a HD movie and I'm not able to watch it. I get this HDCP error message 'This content requires HDCP for playback'

Does anyone have any idea why this was working fine for 10 months and all of a sudden it no longer works.

I'm on the latest version of the software, nothing has changed in my setup, i've rebooted everything..

Thanks, Snapper.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Maybe a long shot but try a different HDMI lead.

Is it only one movie it does it on? It could be a bad download.

trshah

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
HDCP error msg

hello. i got the same msg. apple 'geniuses' had no idea what i was talking about. the only thing i found to work is changing to component cables from an hdmi connection. riduculous! apple needs to provide another update to correct this problem!!!

Cave Man

macrumors 604
hello. i got the same msg. apple 'geniuses' had no idea what i was talking about. the only thing i found to work is changing to component cables from an hdmi connection. riduculous! apple needs to provide another update to correct this problem!!!

That narrows the problem - it's in the HDCP chain. By going to component, HDCP is bypassed. Which version of iTunes are you using, and did this problem initiate with an upgrade? Or did you DL these files from the Apple TV menu?

akabenlee

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2007
This happened to mine earlier this year. It's a failure of the HDMI port on the Apple TV. I took mine in to the Apple Store...was able to reproduce the error message on the TV there. They replaced it on the spot.

WooBah

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
I also get an HDCP error flash, but everything works fine. My receiver flashes HDCP error a couple times, and then it goes to the Apple TV. And, it works fine. I hope I am not on the verge of having it go out!! I have the apple tv connected via HDMI to the receiver. You know now that I think about it, I recently connected an analog rca cable from the apple tv to my receiver to activate audio in Zone 2 (my patio speakers). Hmmm, I wonder if that is the problem???

Terry W

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
NYC
HDCP Error Message w/ATV2

I've been using my Apple TV with my Samsung HD TV for about 10 months. my Apple TV is connected via a HDMI cable and i've been renting and watching HD movies for 10 months..

NOW today i've rented a HD movie and I'm not able to watch it. I get this HDCP error message 'This content requires HDCP for playback'

Does anyone have any idea why this was working fine for 10 months and all of a sudden it no longer works.

I'm on the latest version of the software, nothing has changed in my setup, i've rebooted everything..

Thanks, Snapper.

I got the same error message last night which was the first time I've tried to play a rented HD TV show with the new ATV(2). I have an older Samsung plasma TV with no HDMI input, so the ATV is connected via an HDMI to DVI cable I got at the Apple store.

After reading a few forums, one suggestion was to power off the ATV and unplug the TV, wait about a minute then plug in the TV (first), and then the ATV. For good measure, after I unplugged the devices from the power supplies, I also unplugged the HDMI connection from the back of the ATV and plugged it back in (probably did nothing). This process supposedly resets the "HDMI handshake" - whatever that means.

Long story short, it worked perfectly.

pbellamy

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
New York
My ATV works fine on my plasma, but I cannot get it to work with my projector. Continually getting the HDCP error using the same HDMI cable.

Any other hints on removing this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.