Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaMillions

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
I've got a Mac, running iChat 4 and I have an iSight. The other person has a PC with a built in webcam. I can't find a way in iChat to start a one way video chat where they will see me but I won't see them. Is there a way to do this?

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Tell your friend to go to the Video menu, and uncheck "Camera Enabled". Then, you can do a one-way video chat with them.

willjax

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
Australia
yeah normally would be a button somewhere on the chat screen to disable the webcam.

but anyway.....why would you want to have a one way chat anyway?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I would use Skype. Its free, and if you video call the other person it is 1 way until they decide to send their video feed.

martyrk

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
In Lab
not unless he is on the video receiving end of the chat :D , are you trying to disable your side?

MegaMillions

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
They are on the receiving end. I don't want to turn my own video off. They will see me, I won't see them.

Molnies

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
I've been using it and it works great and it's free unlike Skype.
Free unlike Skype? All Internet video/audio via Skype is free, it only costs when you actually call phones (that doesn't have Skype).

Edit: Oh and yeah, I recommend Skype as well, it works great and is very easy to learn/use — and as said before, they wont send video unless they click on that button themselves.

MegaMillions

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Yeah, i'll use skype. Thanks!

This person is just new to video chatting and would rather do a one-way at first just to see how it works and get comfortable with it.

MegaMillions

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
It's not striving for supreme all-being excellence and it´s not using the video chat to it's full potential, thus opening the door to mediocrity.

Haha nice. :)

It's just this really nice girl i've been hanging out with lately, and we can't see each other in person too often until september.. so until then I suggested video chatting but she's kind of iffy about it and liked the idea of doing a one way video chat at first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.