Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kerry1610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Hi I have an ipod classic 120GB which I bought brand new in March (it was to replace a previously buggered ipod.) It is used regularly with head phones and also through a dock.

I've trawled the net trying to find a situation similar to mine but am struggling to find a similar occurence so I was wondering if anyone could help, any would be appreciated :).

it was working fine through my dock this morning I went out to get ready for work and when I came back it was on the grey screen with the apple logo in the middle which you get when pressing centre and middle buttons to manually reset. It now when I press the play/pause button goes straight to that screen, whirs then clicks loudly and turns to black with an odd high pitched sound. I have tried to reset manually, reset through itunes no success. Although it gave me a sick glimmer of hope earlier when I managed to get to the home screen and play a song it then as soon as it was turned off repeated the above sequence until I found this forum.

I'm really worried I should be saving for uni not a new ipod. Do you think it's a battery problem or hard drive? And it's in warranty, should I try and get in contact with apple over this?

Thank you :)
Kerry-Louise:)

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

If it is still under warranty, I'd say definitely take it to apple. Sounds like your dead isn't drive (you'd get a sad face folder from no OS) but that a platter or the head is stuck. Which is about as useful as dead.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Wow, word dyslexia. And by dead isn't drive, I mean drive isn't dead. Yowza.

Kerry1610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I get that too :) I'm suprised my message was actually coherent, and thank you I've just found my warranty so I will get on it ASAP I feel lost without a working ipod :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.