Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacHead04

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I'm sure a few people already know this trick but before installing Logic Studio (or any app for that matter) I highly suggest using disk utility to create master backups of the DVDs... Not only will you have backups of the DVDs incase anything were to happen, but you can have all 9 disk images open at once, so you don't have to keep swapping discs.. It cuts install time from about 3 1/2 hours to 30-45 min.

Keep in mind that's off an internal SATA HD... Now if you are running off an iMac or MacBook, MacBook pro, something with limited space... Then you can store it on an external HD..USB, FW, or even eSATA... Even on a USB 2.0 external HD it cuts install down to about an hour/hour & 15.

Just a handy trick I thought I'd share for anyone who didn't know.

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
I'm sorry but wouldn't it take just as long to make the DVD backups as it would to install the software? I can see this saving time if you had to reinstall later, but not for the initial install, right?

muzzle79

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009
yeah it would take quite some time to make the images.

But it would bode well for re-install like you said.

Cheers

dmbfan41

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
yeah i do this for OS's as well.

I do it for installing the OS

I just take the image, mount to an old ipod and do it that way.

I'm sure using a firewire 800 drive would make it even faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.