Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Recently my roommate and I moved to a new apartment with a new internet provider. We now have cable internet. Any time I use the internet, when I go to a new server (like the first time I go to macrumors.com or cnn.com or whatever) it takes a long time to connect to the server. Once I connect it downloads everything fast and will continue to download fast off that site until I close that window. If I go to a different site this repeats.

My roommate has a PC running Vista and does not have this issue. I have not tested this on my MacBook booting into Vista (I didn't think of doing this test until just now as I typed this, I'll try it later today when I get a break).

Here's the odd thing: when I VPN into my school's network the latency issue goes away. This makes me think it may be a DNS issue and that somehow the DNS server(s?) at school are more efficient than the ones I otherwise use. Does this sound like a legitimate thought? What DNS servers should I use if this is the problem? Is it possible this isn't the problem?

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Maybe consult this thread and add some new DNS servers to your DNS settings. This helped my internet go faster and might help with the DNS problem you are having.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
In Vista using boot camp and speeds are considerably higher. For some reason I didn't get the email saying a new post of the last one (adding DNS servers) but after messing around in OSX I found how to do that myself. I added a couple DNS servers I found through googling but it hasn't sped up the internet any in Mac.

Edit: I added the OpenDNS addresses to my router's configuration of static DNS servers, so booting into Mac and into Vista both use the OpenDNS servers. Mac now has an additional list of about a dozen DNS servers and still runs slow.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
It's officially a problem with my Mac side of the machine - I'm at my girlfriend's sister's house now (5 hours away from my apartment so it's safe to assume a different ISP) and I'm having the same latency issues as I was at home.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Been a while and never found a solution. Happily when I upgraded today to Snow Leopard the problem has gone away. I hope it stays away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.