Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
I've been noticing a lot of old threads being brought back. It's been irritating me a bit.

I think it would be a good idea for a thread that hasn't been posted to in say... 3 months, could automatically closed/locked. If a thread needed to be restarted, you could PM a mod, or start a new thread with a link to the old and a Part 2 marker.

Anybody in agreement?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I utterly disagree. How can the search feature be effective if a person finds a thread (because god forbid they searched), they read the thread (which is a huge step) and then they have a question. Under your system, they would post a new thread and then would be told to search?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Personally, I have no issues with old threads being brought back to life.

I would much rather see on old thread brought back to life, than a bunch of new threads created on the same subject.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I often wonder why people mock those who searched. Sure, the iMac G6 thread from a couple of weeks ago was odd – but, for example. Person A posts about purchasing a pair of speakers, gets debated by users, Person A picks a particular pair. In comes Person B who then brings the thread back to life a couple of months later asking how Person A liked their purchase a couple of months later.

I don't see why this is such a problem or a negative.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The only time it bothers me is when they reopen a 2+ year old thread just to say thanks, add some other non-helpful post, or are actually trying to help the OP with not even realizing how old the thread is (and generally they give a solution already given years ago).

Love

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
The only time it bothers me is when they reopen a 2+ year old thread just to say thanks, add some other non-helpful post, or are actually trying to help the OP with not even realizing how old the thread is (and generally they give a solution already given years ago).

This is more what I was referring to. There was a thread in the comm. discussion from Sep 2006 about nanny cams brought back today.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
This is more what I was referring to. There was a thread in the comm. discussion from Sep 2006 about nanny cams brought back today.

Report it? I agree that in that section bring up threads that go dead can be not so helpful? But the report button is there for things that are useless.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

+1. Yes, those are the ridiculous ones. A lot of posters don't even read the thread and then post. I could only see closing those threads, however, if there was no way to add value by posting something newer. But I'm sure the mods no better than us what needs to be closed or not.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I agree with the OP, sort of.

I've also been seeing the 2/3 year old threads reappear a lot lately. A lock after 1-2 years wouldn't seem too harmful, however I think that after only 3 months a thread's still pretty relevant.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I like for the threads to be kept open.

I would prefer someone BUMP a thread about an old issue if they are having the same rather then starting another

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
wow can't please anyone on this board:cool:

only solution is not to post at all it seems

that way no one can complain if you didnt search and if you did, couldnt complain you revived an old thread

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
wow can't please anyone on this board:cool:

only solution is not to post at all it seems

that way no one can bitch if you didnt search and if you did, couldnt bitch you revived an old thread

Wow the female dog sensor didn't go off. That was sort of my theory, when there was some thread about searching a couple months ago I felt that we were putting users in a double-bind because we tell newbies to search, read and then post a new thread? I agree that in the community discussion but this is completely irrelevant if no one is going to read anyway.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Wow the female dog sensor didn't go off. That was sort of my theory, when there was some thread about searching a couple months ago I felt that we were putting users in a double-bind because we tell newbies to search, read and then post a new thread? I agree that in the community discussion but this is completely irrelevant if no one is going to read anyway.

What would really help is if all newbies (and some oldies) read the forum rules. I'm being facetious, but it would nice if there was some kind of test before you could enter the forums to post. This would cut down on some of the complaints we've been talking about.

Besides the OP here, one of the things that drives me crazy is many of the thread titles, like "HELP!" and others.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
What would really help is if all newbies (and some oldies) read the forum rules. I'm being facetious, but it would nice if there was some kind of test before you could enter the forums to post. This would cut down on some of the complaints we've been talking about.

Besides the OP here, one of the things that drives me crazy is many of the thread titles, like "HELP!" and others.

Yes, utopia would be nice. But, I don't know, there a couple of new threads a week about selling things?

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I think the system they have now is the ideal one. I've noticed that the occurrences of old threads being brought up for MEANINGFUL REASONS have been EXPONENTIALLY greater than old threads being brought up just by someone saying "+1".

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

No it isn't. You said 3 months they said 2 years. Big difference buddy. :rolleyes:
Don't let this bug you. You're free to ignore anything you please.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Personally, I have no issues with old threads being brought back to life.

I would much rather see on old thread brought back to life, than a bunch of new threads created on the same subject.

+1 to that.

Although I would add that threads on similar issues relating to newer platforms/products can be subjectively created post searching.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I'm much more tired of people being so uptight about such trivial issues and coming up with absurd solutions to non-problems.

internet_serious_business.jpg

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Pleasing Everyone - How About...

How about a message at the bottom in large red/bold/whatever type that warns the reader to consider the thread is xx years old before replying?

Seems like a good idea to me (but then I came up with it, so it would).

AppleMatt

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
By reviving an old thread that is RELEVANT, you allow the evolution of information/discussion to be reviewed. You are far less likely to get duplicate posts in different threads is a specific topic is revived. Thay having been said, the value of reviving some threads (particularly the non-Mac OS or Apple hardware threads) is suspect.

I am more pi**ed off by ignorant/lazy people for whom in 30 seconds I can do a fourum or Google search (that they could have done) and spoon-feed them the answer.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
On further thought, it's the Community Discussion sub-section. I cannot see how one can complain about what occurs, it's going to completely randomness anyway. If you are worried about clogging Spy with things that are not helpful excluding that in general would be the right idea.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
The time when it makes me mad, is when some newbie posts and they say something that either promotes themselves, and/or doesn't help the thread in any way.

I mean, I'm fine with them asking for reviews, posting to say they bought the same thing, and reviewing it, asking questions, etc, but to say "Me too"....that does nothing.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
The time when it makes me mad, is when some newbie posts and they say something that either promotes themselves, and/or doesn't help the thread in any way.

I mean, I'm fine with them asking for reviews, posting to say they bought the same thing, and reviewing it, asking questions, etc, but to say "Me too"....that does nothing.

Report button is genius.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Pleasing Everyone - How About...

How about a message at the bottom in large red/bold/whatever type that warns the reader to consider the thread is xx years old before replying?

Seems like a good idea to me (but then I came up with it, so it would).

AppleMatt

I like that idea. But I seem to be unlucky in seeing far more irrelevant old threads brought back than relevant ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.