Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
thiagos
macrumors 6502

How to completely restore your MacBook Pro to factory?

I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to completely erase everything from my Unibody MacBook Pro?
I usually do the 7 pass erase and install everything from factory but is there any other procedure I can follow to make sure my computer would be running at its best?

I am not sure if it is me or not but my mac used to be faster when I bought it last year even after reinstalling everything from factory.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Branskins
macrumors 6502a

Reinstall Leopard? That should do it
Branskins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 09:02 PM   #3
maflynn

Reformat and reinstall Leopard will do so.

By default, popping in the system disk and rebooting into that will give you an option to upgrade or perform an archive and install which will preserve your home folder. This is a great option provided you want that, otherwise if you want a pure factory fresh restore, then you will need to reformat the hard drive.

****Warning doing so will cause you to LOSE everything, so first make sure you have your system backed up and second are you sure you want to do that?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 09:34 PM   #4
thiagos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagos View Post
I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to completely erase everything from my Unibody MacBook Pro?
I usually do the 7 pass erase and install everything from factory but is there any other procedure I can follow to make sure my computer would be running at its best?

I am not sure if it is me or not but my mac used to be faster when I bought it last year even after reinstalling everything from factory.
Thank you for all the responses. It is not quite what I was looking for, as I explained I do the 7 pass erase, it erases everything from the hard drive and reinstalls everything fresh. But I was wondering if the memory or some other part of the computer retains information which would cause the computer to slow down? If so, how would I go about erasing that.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 09:51 PM   #5
DewGuy1999
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thank you for all the responses. It is not quite what I was looking for, as I explained I do the 7 pass erase, it erases everything from the hard drive and reinstalls everything fresh. But I was wondering if the memory or some other part of the computer retains information which would cause the computer to slow down? If so, how would I go about erasing that.
Apple.com: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
DewGuy1999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:16 PM   #6
reel2reel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why do 7-pass? If you were selling or replacing the HD, I could understand, but isn't this total overkill for a reinstall? Multiple passes are for security, from my understanding. I can't see how they'll affect perfomance at all. My Mac's stay pretty peppy from overall good maintenance (especially not installing too much unnecessary crap). I also keep a lot of things on external drives to try and reduce system disk clutter.
reel2reel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro