Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
I got my refurb dual 2.0ghz G5 yesterday. It came with 250 gig Hard Drive, as well as a gig of RAM default. So instead of 1.5g I now have 2g, and 370 gigs of total Hard Drive space........... !!! Anyonelse get lucky??

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I truly honest person would contact Apple and report their error and attempt to make things right financially.

But, then, I've never met a truly honest person, and question whether or not such people exist, even theoretically.

PowerMacMan

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
mainstreetmark said:
I truly honest person would contact Apple and report their error and attempt to make things right financially.

But, then, I've never met a truly honest person, and question whether or not such people exist, even theoretically.

Human nature...

Everyones favorite word is 'FREE'

;)

Of course I have never been in that situation, therefore never have had the chance of deciding what I would do...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mainstreetmark said:

You're right. I used to consider only integrity and honour. I lost my job with a certain company 3 years ago, but I'm still getting a corporate discount from Sprint PCS due to the company's involvment. :( I've considered calling Sprint PCS several times, but I never do.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
mainstreetmark said:

Hmm, I wonder if Apple would simply let it go. In the larger scheme of things, it's probably better to retain the customer than to inconvenience the individual on an issue as petty as half a gig of ram and a little larger capacity hard drive.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
as you might have read in another thread...

I got the 8X SuperDrive in my 2X1.8Ghz G5 two months before the new G5 was coming and when the still told in the specs 4X SuperDrive...

sometimes people get lucky sometimes they receive DOA... so one compensates for the other ;-)

my 'upgrade' is less expensive for apple than the one told above... thats a big difference... I think if he told apple this, there's a big chance they say nothing about it, I told my vendor about the SuperDrive and he just told me: we're lucky... apple didn't charge him more so I got it at the standard price, so everybody is happy :-D

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
I figured that since it was with a refurb that it was not an accident. I suppose I hadn't considered that it was or not.. The hard drive is a maxtor which I didn't think Apple used. I guess I assumed that Apple just refurbed a machine and sent it out with what it had. Either way I am happy.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
when i sent my ibook for a logic board replacement it came back with an airport card and some of the paint scratched from my tack pad button i dident mind about such trivial things and i got a free aitport card.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I am sure that Apple is not so stupid as to knowingly let systems like this go out without knowing about it. I am sure maxed out refurbs are a small portion. In a perfect world they would want to max out the money on refurbs, they probably feel that it is just easier to list stock systems and let it slid.

geeeeeFive

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2004
Philadelphia
I got 1gig of RAM and a 160gig harddrive on my refurb DP 1.8ghz G5. Of course when i got the G5 the SuperDrive wouldn't open. The drive was seated to high. I wonder if this was the orignal problem?? Anyway, a quick trip to an Apple Dealer got it straight and now I got my freebies. ;)

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
What actually happens when you send a unit in to Apple itself for repair can vary. In some cases Apple will simply ship you a completely different computer than the one you sent in (different serial number, specs, features).

They can then take your unit and break it down for parts or even fix it up and resell it (whether they resell any/all units sent in for repair and not simply returned working computers I don't know I am merely speculating).

I believe, based on service tech documents I have read, that Apple always replaces an iPod with a different iPod unit when sent for a repair no matter what. It really isn't worth it for Apple to stock *extra* parts for service when they sell so many in retail already far outstripping existing production. That and the components are not really fixable due to size/design.

If what you get back is in far worse condition, raise a fuss over it. But if you get "add-ons" I'd keep my mouth shut, as long as the whole computer worked and wasn't all banged up and such.

Your response should never be "I'LL SUE!" as that just makes it harder for the rest of us to just get our computer fixed and be done with it with even more conditions and clauses and hoops to jump through thanks to endless lawsuits.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
mainstreetmark said:

it's a matter of caveat venditor, mainstreetmark.

this is more likely a matter of it being cheaper for Apple to send over-specced machines in the mix of stock models from their refurb store.

otherwise, what would they do with the extra parts? they don't sell refurbished hard drives or memory. by law they can't put the extra components for sale as new, and installing used parts in new computers would also be illegal. the quantities of used ram and hard drives may not justify selling them to wholesalers on auction, or just the same it may just not be worth the management and labor expense.

consider the extras a counter-offer to MrSugar's initial offer, and one to which MrSugar has assented. the mutual benefit is Apple doesn't have to fuss with extra parts, and MrSugar gets the extra parts. it's win-win.

it may even be the case that his machine used to be in the VT cluster, in which case Apple likely spread the extra RAM among the refurb machines (as each of their G5s had 4GB of RAM).

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
If it's simply a mistake, claim ignorance. You weren't to know that G5 systems don't come with a gig of RAM by default were you? ;) :p

There may be some small print which says you have to give it up if they contact you, but chances are they never will. Finders keepers and all that.. :D

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
1 DVD-R disc box extra and 50% off keynote...

It was when I wanted to buy my iSight and some DVD-R discs for my family-movie (they billed one and sent 2) and they told me about the Keynote promotion with .mac, after that I was telling the man about some "bonus" i got by E-mail and after I gave the code numbers the bill was really lower than I expected... total: Isight + 25€ ...Ohh I love this Company :eek:

PensDevil

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2003
PA
over-spec'ed refurbs just happen

I purchased a refurb eMac for my parents earlier this year (got tired of fixing their old PC every time I went to visit them). The unit ordered was a 1ghz, 40gb HDD, combo drive with 128mb stick o'RAM. What machine that came out of the box had 2- 256mb chips in it. What a pleasant surprise that was. Now, if only they had sent a dual-G5 instead of the eMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.