Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erik2v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
I bought a G5 dual 2.0 and got it Saturday. I absolutely love the machine. It's so pretty. It's polite, it relaxes me, and loves me BACK. Application support looks TOP notch. It's not the quantity of software available, but the Quality. I've never seen such quality in software applications. Beautiful!

I need help, though. I'm finding myself at work in windows land. I really hate windows now. It's horrible, ugly, slow, bloated, you name it. I'm spending a lot of my day reading mac news, mac tips, mac software, anything I can find. If I keep this up I'm sure I'll be fired.

I can't wait to get home and play on the mac. I turn it on and just smile, like in a trance. It's just SO pretty and SO smooth, clean, fun.

I'm turning into a freak. I can't get enough of this thing. To make things worse, I went to the new apple store in austin yesterday. I was looking for the store and thinking 'where could it be'. Then all of the sudden I looked up and I saw the HUGE silver apple... like a sign from GOD himself.

As I approached the store I wondered if anyone would SEE me... Dare I enter? Would I be 'one of those mac guys'? As I got closer I noticed a TON of people inside. Other people walking in?! Maybe nobody is paying attention to me, and in I snuck inside.

Oh my! What a sight. The store was incredible. A lot of people were there to play with the IPods. They were having a lot of fun... I heard a bunch of 'cool' comments about a lot of stuff. There were tons of new machines, it seemed like each and every model was there. I was drawn to everything there. I didn't want to leave without one of everything. Hehe..

So I can't wait to go back, to show my wife, my kids, my parents, the WORLD. What a cool place. It really helps answer 'why should I buy a mac ?', 'how are they different?'. Very impressive.

I'm really happy that Apple made iTunes for windows. It keeps me going through the day on my work computer. Knowing that I have MAC software running on my PC. Microsoft can't take EVERYTHING away from me!

I've been infected... I'll never be the same again. Curse you Apple!

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
My sentiments exactly. The mac seems to have a magically appealing quality about it. It's the first thing I go for when I come in the house.

I never gave a crap about "the hot new chip from intel", or what other new geekery was coming out.... until I bought a mac. I too am addicted to the rumors, news, and general mac discussion.

It's like they say, 'Once you go mac you never go back' :D

PowerMacMan

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
AWESOME ERIC! I have yet to get my Mac, but I'm so prepared, I already converted though (went through what you did) and now I am obsessed w/ Apple & can't wait for my Mac, dual 2GHz... like yours :D

iApple

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Ok, calm down, take a deep breath. This is normal. You see, Microsoft has this way of lulling you into accepting less than stellar products. Apple is like a sudden breath of fresh air. You're amazed that everything is so beautiful and well designed. It's like the comptuer actually works. And with you, not against you. You may experiance mild frustration at first, because you are so used to fighting with your PC. The Mac suddenly becomes too easy and everything looks so nice you actually want to use your computer.

A feeling of mild euphoria may come over you, followed by mild nausea when using Windows. Simply take 2 G5s, relax with a nice book (like OS X: The Missing Manual), and try not to drive your friends and family crazy with this "computers don't have to suck" nonsense you speak of.

Oh, and... welcome to the club. Even when something goes wrong, you'll still love it here. ;)

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
kuyu said:
It's like they say, 'Once you go mac you never go back' :D

I've never heard anybody say that, but if you say so....

And Erik2v, go easy on using the Mac (cool as it is). I've gotten in trouble more than once for using them when I was suppost to be doing something else. :D :cool:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Erik2v said:
I'm really happy that Apple made iTunes for windows. It keeps me going through the day on my work computer. Knowing that I have MAC software running on my PC.
I'm implying that you know it's "Mac" and not "MAC," but other people browsing this thread (including lurkers) might take that emphasis to mean a misspelling of "Mac." So to avoid that confusion, just stylize the word.

Glad you liked the Apple Store. Before I moved, there were three of them in a 30 minute radius. (Now there is one in a 3 hour radius.) I've been to the one at Tice's Corner and the one along the N.H. and M.A. border, and they keep the inside of the building fairly open for walking around. Well, maybe it's the white and the wooden floors that do the trick.

Damnit, Apple needs to put up an Apple Store in Maine already (either in Portland, Westbrook, Biddeford or Saco)...those elementary students that received iBooks around the time that the 500MHz iBook came out are going to have very long road trips to the nearest Apple Store. Not fun.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Yes, it is a little scary isnt it? There is something contagious... :)

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i don't even have a mac yet and i do exactly what you guys are talking about. i usually have macnn, macrumors, and ehmac tabs open. lol. i just can't get enough of mac readings. it's more than half of what i go through everyday.

i'm happy to say that i'll be getting a PB 15" rev B early next month (if WWDC turns up nothing - as i expect them to (not to) ) in preparation for school this fall. yeay!! :cool:

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Erik2v said:

Welcome to the club. I've had the Mac bug for over 10 years now. The only cure is to have a byte into those fresh Apple's every few years or so... :p

aussie_geek

PowerMacMan

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Ryan1524 said:
i don't even have a mac yet and i do exactly what you guys are talking about. i usually have macnn, macrumors, and ehmac tabs open. lol. i just can't get enough of mac readings. it's more than half of what i go through everyday.

i'm happy to say that i'll be getting a PB 15" rev B early next month (if WWDC turns up nothing - as i expect them to (not to) ) in preparation for school this fall. yeay!! :cool:

Wow, this is truly an epidemic... I'm going through (and at the presice stage you are) the exact same thing!

Mac is an addictant.. :eek:

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Hey, cool thing to do

You said you turn it on when you get home.

Go under System Preferences, Energy Saver, then the schedule tab. Tell it to wake up before you get home. Then you can tell it to go to sleep at a certain time when you leave in the morning. Have fun.

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2003
oith
King Cobra said:
Damnit, Apple needs to put up an Apple Store in Maine already (either in Portland, Westbrook, Biddeford or Saco)...those elementary students that received iBooks around the time that the 500MHz iBook came out are going to have very long road trips to the nearest Apple Store. Not fun.

Yes yes yes. Driving to Salem, N.H is a pain in the arse when you have to go into that obnoxious mall just to go to the one store you want. The Maine mall in south portland would be the most likely location. There aren't even any compusa's in Maine. Sigh.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Erik2v said:
I bought a G5 dual 2.0 and got it Saturday. I absolutely love the machine. It's so pretty. It's polite, it relaxes me, and loves me BACK. Application support looks TOP notch. It's not the quantity of software available, but the Quality. I've never seen such quality in software applications. Beautiful!

I need help, though. I'm finding myself at work in windows land. I really hate windows now. It's horrible, ugly, slow, bloated, you name it. I'm spending a lot of my day reading mac news, mac tips, mac software, anything I can find. If I keep this up I'm sure I'll be fired.

I can't wait to get home and play on the mac. I turn it on and just smile, like in a trance. It's just SO pretty and SO smooth, clean, fun.

I'm turning into a freak. I can't get enough of this thing. To make things worse, I went to the new apple store in austin yesterday. I was looking for the store and thinking 'where could it be'. Then all of the sudden I looked up and I saw the HUGE silver apple... like a sign from GOD himself.

As I approached the store I wondered if anyone would SEE me... Dare I enter? Would I be 'one of those mac guys'? As I got closer I noticed a TON of people inside. Other people walking in?! Maybe nobody is paying attention to me, and in I snuck inside.

Oh my! What a sight. The store was incredible. A lot of people were there to play with the IPods. They were having a lot of fun... I heard a bunch of 'cool' comments about a lot of stuff. There were tons of new machines, it seemed like each and every model was there. I was drawn to everything there. I didn't want to leave without one of everything. Hehe..

So I can't wait to go back, to show my wife, my kids, my parents, the WORLD. What a cool place. It really helps answer 'why should I buy a mac ?', 'how are they different?'. Very impressive.

I'm really happy that Apple made iTunes for windows. It keeps me going through the day on my work computer. Knowing that I have MAC software running on my PC. Microsoft can't take EVERYTHING away from me!

hehee.... you're not the only one facing this situation. i work at this apple reseller. a while back we had a customer who was almost new to computers (had done some surfing and text editing but that's it). so, he wanted to get a laptop for music stuff. he had been thinking about an ibook, but at the end he left with a powerbook and lots of music peripherals.

there was this funny thing we don't get too often here in finland. he said that the products already look so cool they're very appealing. also said using the pb is like being in a trance or something like that.

about the "we don't get too often in finland".. by this I mean that when in many countries people go almost crazy (from my point of view) when hyping some product -- steve is a good example - in finland we say great instead of insanely great. uh dunno if that got too confusing but i guess you got the point, which is that not many people "dare" to buy a mac just because it's so cool.

also, when i first time went to work at this place, i was like "wow... these computers are so sweeeeet". you know, when you're surrounded by all that white beauty..

hey i wish you nice time with your new mac and hope you don't get fired!

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
I feel the same way, but I like it. Especially that part about going into the Apple store. I'm always thinking, "what if somebody sees me?" But here's what I do: walk down the hall like there's nothing new, get halfway past the entrance (still walking straight) and then step quickly inside the store. Nobody knows anything ever happened.

I don't know why people like you and me get that fear of entering the store. Probably because we've been Windows users so long and most of our friends are Windows users that we feel we'd be embarased if somebody saw us... :D

Congratulations on the switch,
JOD8FY

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
my isp was breaking my balls last night (the whole internet was totally frozen) so i thought my previous message never found it's way on the thread. well, it obviously did so I just deleted this new one.

Koree

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
I'm really lucky. :) I was born into a family that already had a thing with Macs. Only thing is, unlike most people, battling a non-Mac has been a life long struggle. ^^ Well, be happy, try not to get fired or annoy people too much. :D

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
varmit said:
You said you turn it on when you get home.

Go under System Preferences, Energy Saver, then the schedule tab. Tell it to wake up before you get home. Then you can tell it to go to sleep at a certain time when you leave in the morning. Have fun.
Or, you could fold...
:)

iSaint

macrumors 603
you too???

Dang, I'm still a newbie, don't even own a Mac yet, and the things everyone describes are so true. I, too, spend my slow time at work on Mac Forums, and bringing up the Apple web site just because it's so appealing.

I did get to play with an iBook at a CompUSA a couple of weeks ago. Too bad nobody waited on us, or when the sales rep finally did, he really didn't know anything and tried to sell my friend a returned Powerbook. The deal sucked though.

Waiting for the day I order my 14" iBook...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.