Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 5, 2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Raibe
macrumors newbie

Revision C hinge problem?

Does revision C Air suffer from hinge defect that has plagued earlier models or has Apple corrected this between revisions? Thinking of buying one but if hinge lasts less than a year…
Raibe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 05:52 AM   #2
kntgsp
macrumors 6502a

I have one and have two friends with one, and no one has had any problems.

Had a friend whose slid off the bed and landed open side down, and didn't hurt anything. It's pretty damn sturdy in my experience.
kntgsp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 06:01 AM   #3
designgeek
macrumors 65816

I'm really hoping Apple learned from the last two revisions. I know someone who wants one and this seems to be the biggest issue.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:43 AM   #4
JasG
macrumors member

My Rev. C hinge is fine so far. The Rev A I rented for a week before I bought this one was looser, but still fully adjustable, just took a little more work. When you shave so much weight, something is going to have to give. It is a very delicate balance. I put a Speck plastic cover on my new one, it added enormously to the weight of the screen, and in the long run would probably cause premature hinge wear. I don't think I'll use it. Fortunately I bought it for 14 dollars.
JasG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:46 AM   #5
drummerlondonw3
macrumors 6502a

funnily enough my hinge on my rev A has just broken! From what I have read about this, which is a lot over the last few days, Apple do replace the hinge parts so it would seem that they have indeed learnt from it. I haven't been in to my Apple Store yet ( I have swine flu ) but it seems from May '09 they are doing a silent recall free of charge so you should be safe buying rev C
Old Aug 5, 2009, 08:32 AM   #6
opera57
macrumors 6502

I have a rev C and it seems fine to me, really sturdy. Actually seems better than the MBP that I had previously!
opera57 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 08:36 AM   #7
kntgsp
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasG View Post
My Rev. C hinge is fine so far. The Rev A I rented for a week before I bought this one was looser, but still fully adjustable, just took a little more work. When you shave so much weight, something is going to have to give. It is a very delicate balance. I put a Speck plastic cover on my new one, it added enormously to the weight of the screen, and in the long run would probably cause premature hinge wear. I don't think I'll use it. Fortunately I bought it for 14 dollars.
Funny you should say that. I just got back from the local store and wound up getting a neoprene sleeve for it because of that very reason. Didn't seem to be any real advantage to the plastic covers other than being able to take more abuse if you stack books on it. But I don't, so meh.
kntgsp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air