Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I currently have Medialink installed on my iMac so I can stream my movies to my Playstation 3. I also have a Blockbuster Total Access account that allows me to get movies sent to my house.

I used to be a Netflix subscriber, but then I switched to Blockbuster because of the in-store exchanges. Now that you can watch the streaming Netflix movies on Macs, I'm thinking about switching back. Before I do so, I was wondering if there was any Mac software that allows me to stream the Netflix content to my Playstation 3 (as far as I know, Medialink does not support this). I know that there a program called PlayOn that does this, but it's for Windows only. I don't want to have to boot up my Windows partition using Parallels everytime I want to use it.

So, what I'm wanting to know is: how do I stream the "instant watch" Netflix movies to my Playstation 3 from my Mac?

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
I don't think there is any solution for that... but on the bright side, netflix is apparently in talks w/ sony. so u might get netflix capability on ur ps3 at some point soon.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
I don't think you can with the PS3. I know you can with some blue ray players. I think even some sony models. Its weird how companies find ways to make it difficult for simple tasks. I have a netflix account too, it would great to stream. It would cut down on my handbraking for sure. :)

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Well, I guess those of us with a PS3 are out of luck. The "watch instantly" feature is an XBox 360 exclusive feature. It looks like Microsoft has a partnership with Netflix... suck.

Engadget link

Netflix Partnership

This exclusive partnership offers you the ability to instantly stream movies and TV episodes from Netflix to the television via Xbox 360. Xbox 360 will be the only game console to offer this movie-watching experience, available to Xbox LIVE Gold members who are also Netflix unlimited plan subscribers**, at no additional cost.

From the Netflix Web site, simply add movies and TV episodes to your instant Queue, which will appear automatically on the TV screen via Xbox 360. Once selected, movies will begin playing in as little as 30 seconds. In addition to instantly streaming Netflix movies to the TV, Xbox LIVE Gold members can browse and rate movies, fast-forward, pause and rewind, all using either their Xbox 360 Controller or Universal remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.