Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 5, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Ridgeback
macrumors newbie

How to stop Install wizard at startup

Hi.

I have a brother MFC-240 printer which I loathe. It has been one driver issue after another since the day I got it. Anyhow, everytime I boot the computer up, the install wizard starts and tries to recognize the printer with some MFL Pro-Suite software (which never works). I have deleted the printer from system preferences, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stop this MFL pro-suite software from trying to install with each restart. Once I get this sorted out, I will toss the printer onto the road, and never look back.

any thoughts?

thanks.
Ridgeback is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 05:49 PM   #2
killerrobot
macrumors 68020

Double check and make sure your start-up menu is free from that program.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2602

After, do a search for it with spotlight and delete everything associated with it.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Ridgeback
macrumors newbie

Don't see anything in startup associated with it, and nothing comes up when searching spotlight....
Old Aug 6, 2009, 02:06 AM   #4
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

See anything if you navigate to /Library/StartupItems? That is a particular common place for some printer software to set up, especially the HP variety. Also check in /Library/Printers and pull the whole Brother folder to your Desktop (don't trash it unless you're absolutely certain you won't need to put the drivers back in that directory).
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Ridgeback
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMeister View Post
See anything if you navigate to /Library/StartupItems? That is a particular common place for some printer software to set up, especially the HP variety. Also check in /Library/Printers and pull the whole Brother folder to your Desktop (don't trash it unless you're absolutely certain you won't need to put the drivers back in that directory).
Hi, I'm assuming you mean navigate there from Finder? If so, I don't have a /Library/StartupItems folder....and the /Library/Printers folder is empty.

Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:34 PM   #6
killerrobot
macrumors 68020

If you've got the install CD still, put it in and see if there's an uninstall option. That might be all you need to do.

If that doesn't do it, then perhaps a file backup and fresh OS install is the last option.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:59 PM   #7
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeback View Post
Hi.

I have a brother MFC-240 printer which I loathe. It has been one driver issue after another since the day I got it. Anyhow, everytime I boot the computer up, the install wizard starts and tries to recognize the printer with some MFL Pro-Suite software (which never works). I have deleted the printer from system preferences, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stop this MFL pro-suite software from trying to install with each restart. Once I get this sorted out, I will toss the printer onto the road, and never look back.

any thoughts?

thanks.
any luck on finding a fix for this? i'm having the same issue and it's driving me up the wall.

please if anyone out there knows how to fix these things through terminal I'd really appreciate it. the brother control center does not show in log in items, and even when I uncheck "start up at login" from the brother control center preferences, it and the install utility still show up when I log in.

All I know is that com.brother.ControlCenter.plist shows up in Macintosh HD and reappears even after I delete it.

I think this plist is what's causing the damn thing from showing up every time I log in or turn on the computer. I think it has to be fixed in terminal but I don't know how to use terminal.

I've found this discussion which seems to offer a fix but it is all giberish to me: http://forum.soft32.com/mac/stop-Bro...ict108898.html

If anyone can decipher and tell me how to implement this myself I'd be eternally grateful!
joejoejoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:13 PM   #8
bigmike54
macrumors newbie

Go to Library->LaunchAgents->com.brother.LOGINserver.plist

Open it and check the "disabled" box.

=Mike
bigmike54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:42 AM   #9
macbrotherjohn
macrumors newbie

I managed to remove by deleting the Brother folder from my printers folder.
macbrotherjohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:01 PM   #10
miznyc
macrumors newbie

Thanks @macbrotherjohn

deleting the Brother folder from my printers folder worked for me.
miznyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:11 PM   #11
AppleNewton
macrumors 65816

another way to clear out printers as well is to OPTION-CLICK the Minus (-) in System Preferences > Printers
AppleNewton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:17 PM   #12
vegasmalone
macrumors newbie

Two 'printers' locations

I was able to fix this issue by deleting the 'Brother' folder in MacintoshHD/library/printers.

Keep in mind, there are 2 printers folders. (1) MacintoshHD/library/printers and (2) MacintoshHD/users/<user_name>/library/printers.

The second one will most likely be empty but the first will not.

Hope it works for you too!
vegasmalone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help