Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ridgeback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Hi.

I have a brother MFC-240 printer which I loathe. It has been one driver issue after another since the day I got it. Anyhow, everytime I boot the computer up, the install wizard starts and tries to recognize the printer with some MFL Pro-Suite software (which never works). I have deleted the printer from system preferences, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stop this MFL pro-suite software from trying to install with each restart. Once I get this sorted out, I will toss the printer onto the road, and never look back.

any thoughts?

thanks.

Ridgeback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Don't see anything in startup associated with it, and nothing comes up when searching spotlight....

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
See anything if you navigate to /Library/StartupItems? That is a particular common place for some printer software to set up, especially the HP variety. Also check in /Library/Printers and pull the whole Brother folder to your Desktop (don't trash it unless you're absolutely certain you won't need to put the drivers back in that directory).

Ridgeback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
See anything if you navigate to /Library/StartupItems? That is a particular common place for some printer software to set up, especially the HP variety. Also check in /Library/Printers and pull the whole Brother folder to your Desktop (don't trash it unless you're absolutely certain you won't need to put the drivers back in that directory).

Hi, I'm assuming you mean navigate there from Finder? If so, I don't have a /Library/StartupItems folder....and the /Library/Printers folder is empty.

:confused:

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
If you've got the install CD still, put it in and see if there's an uninstall option. That might be all you need to do.

If that doesn't do it, then perhaps a file backup and fresh OS install is the last option.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Hi.

I have a brother MFC-240 printer which I loathe. It has been one driver issue after another since the day I got it. Anyhow, everytime I boot the computer up, the install wizard starts and tries to recognize the printer with some MFL Pro-Suite software (which never works). I have deleted the printer from system preferences, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stop this MFL pro-suite software from trying to install with each restart. Once I get this sorted out, I will toss the printer onto the road, and never look back.

any thoughts?

thanks.

any luck on finding a fix for this? i'm having the same issue and it's driving me up the wall.

please if anyone out there knows how to fix these things through terminal I'd really appreciate it. the brother control center does not show in log in items, and even when I uncheck "start up at login" from the brother control center preferences, it and the install utility still show up when I log in.

All I know is that com.brother.ControlCenter.plist shows up in Macintosh HD and reappears even after I delete it.

I think this plist is what's causing the damn thing from showing up every time I log in or turn on the computer. I think it has to be fixed in terminal but I don't know how to use terminal.

I've found this discussion which seems to offer a fix but it is all giberish to me: http://forum.soft32.com/mac/stop-Brother-Control-Center-launching-ftopict108898.html

If anyone can decipher and tell me how to implement this myself I'd be eternally grateful!

bigmike54

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Go to Library->LaunchAgents->com.brother.LOGINserver.plist

Open it and check the "disabled" box.

=Mike

miznyc

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Thanks @macbrotherjohn

deleting the Brother folder from my printers folder worked for me.

vegasmalone

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Two 'printers' locations

I was able to fix this issue by deleting the 'Brother' folder in MacintoshHD/library/printers.

Keep in mind, there are 2 printers folders. (1) MacintoshHD/library/printers and (2) MacintoshHD/users/<user_name>/library/printers.

The second one will most likely be empty but the first will not.

Hope it works for you too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.