Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
The backups are located at the following path: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Are they safe to remove? I will then backup again and start it over. I have no plans on restoring from one of these backups. Are they OK to remove. They take a lot on my hard drive and I am doing a cleanup of files and came across this. Thanks.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
In iTunes if you go into Preferences then click on Devices it should list all the backups you have there. You might see if you can clean up there first.

At worst you can always temporarily move them somewhere and see if anything breaks. :)

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
In iTunes if you go into Preferences then click on Devices it should list all the backups you have there. You might see if you can clean up there first.

At worst you can always temporarily move them somewhere and see if anything breaks. :)

Thanks a lot, Silent Panda. I removed my iPod touch from the list and it removed all the backups from that location. Time to go sync again :)

EDIT: I forgot how long my first backup took. That was a while :). Thanks, anyways!!!!

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
meanwhile

I tried this. I removed my backup folder and rebacked up my iPod Touch thinking it would consolidate the backup or at least make it smaller in some way.

Well, I was wrong. The old folder was 49MB and the new one was 50MB!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.