Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TUAW reports that Apple is now rejecting all e-book iPhone application submissions under the rationale that such applications are commonly used to distribute content to which the applications' authors do not hold publication rights. Rather than taking on the daunting task of assessing publication rights for each application submitted, Apple has apparently chosen to exclude all such applications.
TUAW has learned that Apple has begun rejecting all e-book submissions because "this category of applications is often used for the purpose of infringing upon third party rights. We have chosen to not publish this type of application to the App Store." At first glance, this policy seems in line with Apple's approach to applications that promise charitable contributions. Apple cannot police the developers and will not allow possibly fraudulent postings on their store. Apple does not want to be in the position of vetting rights claims.
Apple's policy appears to extend even to developers who are able to prove that they do in fact hold the rights to the content being submitted and to e-book reader applications providing no direct content of their own.

Recent reports regarding Apple's rumored tablet computer have driven speculation that Apple may be interested in entering the e-book market on its own, but industry sources report that the move is unlikely. And while TUAW is careful to note that it has no evidence that Apple is using the rejections to remove competition against a future foray into the e-book market, the move is likely to draw increased scrutiny from regulators already interested in potential anti-competitive actions in both Apple's corporate behavior and ties to AT&T.

Article Link: Apple Rejecting All e-Book App Store Submissions?

samarks

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Apple Tablet = Ebook reader

An Apple tablet would definitely be an eBook reader to complete with the Kindle. No question about it. Making eBooks available through iTunes would be simple.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I wonder if this is the individual ebook applications or the larger things like Stanza. I don't see a problem with the collective apps; but the individual ones are a bit annoying, especially now that they have in-app purchases. The stand alone apps just clutter the store like crazy.

But at the same time, I can see their right to make the stand alone applications. The eBooks that are there are typically the books that have gone public, so the authors of the application are within their rights.

Will reserve outrage until I find out more details.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Apple have lost their minds. Someone needs to smack the App Store reviewers upside the head.

:mad:

--DotComCTO

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Wow. So, Classics (a major performer, among many others) is about the be pulled....just wow.

runeasgar

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Nashville, TN
i think they are rejecting the "single book" apps, not things like Stanza, Classics and Kindle.

(personally i am unsurprised by this.. i have often wondered whether or not those apps were legit)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple made a news splash when they kicked out that dev who was copying hundreds of copyrighted materials and putting them into tons of iPhone apps. Now they seem to be using that as justification for blocking all new eBooks. What are the chances that existing eBooks will be pulled? Will they be denied approval if they submit updates to their eBook apps?

Will the iBook Touch rule the eBook space?

Steve Jobs...do you believe people read now?

Just Gabriel

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
So my kindle app will still work right?

I'm a little concerned about eBook stores as well. Will this have any effect on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Shortcovers? Or is this just about reader apps that require the user to supply their own eBooks like Stanza?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Apple are showing themselves to be spectacular control freaks, or perhaps even bigger control freaks than we already knew.

**** them and their store. If you value being able to do and buy what you want for your phone, look elsewhere.

You're just going to get tied in a screwed over the more time passes.

:rolleyes:

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Wow. So, Classics (a major performer, among many others) is about the be pulled....just wow.

Yeah, though I don't like the developers of that app, it is popular and was even featured on an Apple commercial on TV!

I guess the Kindle app is going bye bye now too.

And to think that the iPhone was the #1 ebook reader even when compared to the Kindle. Kinda makes this decision very unusual, even for Apple.

/vjl/

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Apple's policy appears to extend even to developers who are able to prove that they do in fact hold the rights to the content being submitted and to e-book reader applications providing no direct content of their own.

i think they are rejecting the "single book" apps, not things like Stanza, Classics and Kindle

The bolded text would suggest otherwise, wouldn't it?

This is bad. Very very bad. Far, far worse than the GV fiasco.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
I suspect this may be in response to the legal actions by various individuals and companies against the distributors of eBooks.

(The recent 1984 Amazon fiasco, and then the suit by the student against Amazon, for one.)

The authors guild of America has not embraced eBooks, many publishers and authors have been slow to embrace digital distribution in the same way the RIAA and MPAA have been slow to accept digital distribution of music and movies. With the sue happy mentality of some of these individuals, it is no wonder that Apple may be backing off this market if they have to spend an inordinate amount of time and money defending themselves against possible legal action. I would think just one or two lawsuits would be enough to wipe away any profit from sales...

Then again...
Upon clarification this may not be what is being implied...
It occurs to me, based on the recent story posted here: https://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/05/banned-app-store-developer-auctioning-off-business/ that Apple may be banning eBook applications that people are selling that include books in the public domain. When I look in the Books section of the App Store, most of the books listed for sale are available for free from sites like projectgutenberg and googlebooks. These are all apps that sell for $.99, the developer does not in fact "own" the rights to any of these books nor do the devs bring much, if anything of value, to the reading of the book beyond what other dedicated eBook readers like eReader and Stanza bring. As "pretty" as Classics is, every single book in that application is available as a free download. I think Apple is perfectly in their right to remove these apps (and I would be glad to see them go, myself) in the interest of protecting consumers from, shall we say, "Predatory Developers" who take advantage of unknowledgeable customers.

Another solution would be to inform customers that the book is in the Public Domain and can be downloaded and read for free in other eBook readers but I really think that solution is impractical.

I think, we just have to face the fact, that Apple is in house cleaning mode right now and with the explosion of applications in the store, we have seen unscrupulous developers trying to take advantage of unsuspecting customers by selling them apps that do nothing but provide them content (books, photos, etc) for which they do not own the rights to and for which the content can be had for free. It may be time to remove the chaff?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
With all the conspiracy freaks out there I dunno..Maybe ..just maybe there are a lot of companies/people that hold IP rights starting to jump at Apple about the DMCA and Apple is trying to clean up the store.

Or Apple is truly an evil empire out to get everybody.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Yep.

Tablet (or their portables) will be pushing the eBook market very very very soon. With force. Apple knew it stumbled over it's own stupidity when Kindle came out and proved eBooks were worth a market. And, let's be honest, haters: an iTablet from Apple would beat the crap out of the Kindle in most ways.

Wait and see. In about 6 weeks we should find out about the tablet, or else it is again pushed back or rejected from hitting market. If Apple doesn't push the tablet for the new school year in August, I think they have lost their minds.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
OK, it's official: Apple is making their own e-book reader, possibly the rumored tablet. :D

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This is becoming extremely scary. Apple should just reject their own iPod App too because I have tons of ill-gained mp3s in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.