Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Spoiled for OS choice?




Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Spoiled for OS choice?
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:03 AM   #2
JediSkipdogg
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
And Microsoft wonders why they lost me as a customer to now owning 2 Macs and an Ipod touch. I like KISS...one operating system that gives you everything. And they have to wonder why sales are slipping. I upgraded a friend's Macbook a few years ago and migrated my macbook to my imac and everything worked FLAWLESSLY. In 10 years of Windows upgrades, nothing went smooth.
JediSkipdogg is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:38 AM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Microsoft can yip and yap all they want. They lost me as customer the minute they couldn't deliver updates or upgrades in a smooth fashion. The minute their stuff never worked or always required extra twitching (some of which is advanced stuff) I knew something had to be done.

Apple made it simple for us. This or nothing. No need to look at which OS version you'll need because of what it has or doesn't have. No need to dig thru mazes of folders, options or settings to make your computer run right. It's either there or it isn't, simple as that.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:44 AM   #4
martynmc7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Microsoft can yip and yap all they want. They lost me as customer the minute they couldn't deliver updates or upgrades in a smooth fashion. The minute their stuff never worked or always required extra twitching (some of which is advanced stuff) I knew something had to be done.

Apple made it simple for us. This or nothing. No need to look at which OS version you'll need because of what it has or doesn't have. No need to dig thru mazes of folders, options or settings to make your computer run right. It's either there or it isn't, simple as that.
+1

My computer is a means to an end, and when it gets in the way of achieving that end it immediately becomes a problem. OS X gets out of my way, simple.
martynmc7 is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Jon-Luke
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cape Town
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon-Luke
Apple's philosophy when it comes operating systems seems to be to have a system that lets you get on with doing whatever it is you want to do with your computer without getting in the way of what you want to do. And this is exactly how I like it.

What Microsoft seem to be trying to do here is create same kind of effect as buying a car with options... What color would you like it to be? Do you want a big powerful engine or a small economical one? Do you want to be able to do x and y with your computer and if you pay an additional $$$ you will be able to do z

Who wants the hassle and who needs it - now everyone needs to be a computer geek just to check their email. Not cool! Not cool especially if you are the computer geek in the family who has to set up everyone elses computers.

Since switching to Mac I spend more time helping my mother, and my neighbours fix their PC's then I do tinkering on my own system. Back in my PC days I used to spend hours tinkering, no days. Thank You Apple keep it up just one option of an operating system is just fine with me
__________________
...Because its a Mac!
Unibody 15" MacBook Pro MY2008, 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD
iPhone 5, 64GB | iPad 3 64GB WiFi only | Airport Extreme | Airport Express
Jon-Luke is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6
cmwade77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I also vote for keeping it simple. One choice is enough, really, why should there need to be more? I don't want a crippled Operating System, ship me one with all of the features enabled.

Which is exactly what OS X offers.
cmwade77 is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 02:17 PM   #7
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Microsoft's 'choice' of operating systems only really causes a problem for the sort of people who have to use Velcro fasteners on their shoes.

90% of consumer Windows sales are included with the third party OEM manufacturer. Over 90% of those are Home Premium. Of the 10% who upgrade the vast majority choose Home Premium, the remainder purchasing Professional or Ultimate mainly for small businesses.

The myth that this bothers anyone with an IQ higher than that of a gerbil in the slightest is precisely that: a myth.
__________________
Unibody Macbook 2.0 Ghz
Quad Core Mesh 2.4Ghz
Nokia 5800
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:46 PM   #8
spillproof
macrumors 68020
 
spillproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
But I wanted Mac OSX Snow Leopard Home Premium Basic for Starters!
__________________
I don't know what to put here.
spillproof is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 05:21 PM   #9
ditzy
macrumors 65816
 
ditzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
Microsoft's 'choice' of operating systems only really causes a problem for the sort of people who have to use Velcro fasteners on their shoes.

90% of consumer Windows sales are included with the third party OEM manufacturer. Over 90% of those are Home Premium. Of the 10% who upgrade the vast majority choose Home Premium, the remainder purchasing Professional or Ultimate mainly for small businesses.

The myth that this bothers anyone with an IQ higher than that of a gerbil in the slightest is precisely that: a myth.
We must know very different people. Everyone I know that has thought of upgrading to windows 7, have worried about this issue.
__________________
15 inch retina MBP. 64GB iPhone 5s Gold, iPad mini 32GB Black and slate.
ditzy is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:07 PM   #10
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzy View Post
We must know very different people. Everyone I know that has thought of upgrading to windows 7, have worried about this issue.
Hoorah for special circumstances!

Look, anyone who upgrades their OS knows what they're doing so it's not difficult. The idea that MS offer *gasp* product variance is a blocker is obviously absolute crap given that there have been multiple SKUs since XP and it's never been an issue except to people who really shouldn't be upgrading in the first place.
__________________
Unibody Macbook 2.0 Ghz
Quad Core Mesh 2.4Ghz
Nokia 5800
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Takuta-Nui
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I think whether Microsoft's offerings are too complicated or redundant, it boils down to the fact that most computer users prefer to actually work on their computers rather than have to worry about a plethora of issues that originate from the inherent incompatibility between the OS and third-party program developers.

Apple is a closed system, which makes it extremely simple to work on a Mac.

Of course, it's deeper than that - some people don't get enough trouble from their MS stuff to really nudge them into switching, or don't want to spend the extra money and are willing to put up with the trouble they get instead - so forth.

Not that Apple is trouble-free, of course. If it was, we wouldn't be needing or getting updates. =P

Still again, it comes down to whether a person wants simplicity. Machines are supposed to make work simpler. IMO, Mac does that.
__________________
iPhone 3G S⃣ Black ~ December 2009
13" Aluminum MacBook ~ May 2009
Takuta-Nui is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:04 PM   #12
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Part of the dream of Western capitalism is the plethora of choice, and Microsoft really appears to have taken that to heart. Windows 7 comes in ... 66 possible configurations.
Quote:
Of course, you could switch to Mac. Snow Leopard comes in one version. One. It's 64-bit. If you have an older, PowerPC based Mac, your choice is even simpler - no choice.
Quote:
But the more common blue tile represents 'custom install'. It requires a 'clean' install: you move your files off, install the OS, put the files back in the correct places on the system with the new OS on it, then reinstall all your apps. Sounds like an entertaining, fun and constructive way to spend a few hours (days?) in PC world.
Words can not contain my shock at reading such misleading statements.

First off, Snow leopard is NOT only 64 bit, otherwise it wouldn't work on the CD Macbook Pro.

Furthermore, if you follow their logic where the type of upgrade you do counts as a 'flavor', then there are the following ways to upgrade, and the following flavors.

10.4 to 10.5 upgrade
10.4 to 10.5 server upgrade
10.4 server to 10.5 upgrade
10.4 server to 10.5 server upgrade
10.4 to 10.5 wipe
10.4 to 10.5 server wipe
10.4 server to 10.5 wipe
10.4 server to 10.5 server wipe
10.3 to 10.5 upgrade
10.3 to 10.5 server upgrade
10.3 server to 10.5 upgrade
10.3 server to 10.5 server upgrade
10.3 to 10.5 wipe
10.3 to 10.5 server wipe
10.3 server to 10.5 wipe
10.3 server to 10.5 server wipe

Lastly, the "more common" blue tile is actually much less common. More often, a business user will upgrade Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional, and a Windows Vista Home user (or windows XP home user) will upgrade to Windows 7 Home. Seriously, how many businesses who have licenses for Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista Business do you think will upgrade to Windows 7 Home... This guy is just completely nuts.

+1 for biased windows bashing without any concern for reality.

P.S. I realized that because 10.3 was never released for the x86 architecture, you could not do an upgrade. So instead, if you look at the past two major OS's from Apple, instead you only have 8 possible upgrade choices, but also 8 choices which are impossible to upgrade from.
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:02 AM   #13
applebum
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
Microsoft's 'choice' of operating systems only really causes a problem for the sort of people who have to use Velcro fasteners on their shoes.

90% of consumer Windows sales are included with the third party OEM manufacturer. Over 90% of those are Home Premium. Of the 10% who upgrade the vast majority choose Home Premium, the remainder purchasing Professional or Ultimate mainly for small businesses.

The myth that this bothers anyone with an IQ higher than that of a gerbil in the slightest is precisely that: a myth.
Ignoring your insult of anyone that has a problem with Window's choice of OS, do you have a link to back up the numbers you quote? I ask because this would indicate that the "premium" editions had falling sales for two straight quarters (through Q1 of 09). Supposedly netbooks are a big culprit, as they make up 10% of the PC market, and most of them have Windows Home - not premium. So, your numbers just don't add up. Not that it really matters as your post seems more of an excuse to be insulting, but without a link for those numbers your stating, it just looks like you are willing to make up numbers in order to fling insults.
__________________
I use a Mac. I have upped my computer experience....now up yours!
applebum is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:48 AM   #14
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebum View Post
Ignoring your insult of anyone that has a problem with Window's choice of OS, do you have a link to back up the numbers you quote? I ask because this would indicate that the "premium" editions had falling sales for two straight quarters (through Q1 of 09). Supposedly netbooks are a big culprit, as they make up 10% of the PC market, and most of them have Windows Home - not premium. So, your numbers just don't add up. Not that it really matters as your post seems more of an excuse to be insulting, but without a link for those numbers your stating, it just looks like you are willing to make up numbers in order to fling insults.
Netbooks represent a portion of the 10% of consumer sales that aren't encompassed by HP. The Netbook market isn't actually that big.

Plus, of course, XP and W7HP will run on a Netbook whereas Vista HP will not.

As for numbers, check the Gartner and IDC reports and Microsoft's own quarterly returns where you'll find the splits. These numbers are freely available and pretty well known in the industry.

The point remains that upgrading Windows is a minority activity for consumers and actually isn't that complicated for those who want to do it - I'm one - and those people generally know what they're doing. As for 'insulting', no more so than stupid, patronising articles like the one referenced in this topic, written by someone who seem to firmly fall into the Velcro shoes category.

In the end perhaps it's a less worrying process than being concerned that your machine (*cough*PPC*cough) won't work at all with an upgrade?
__________________
Unibody Macbook 2.0 Ghz
Quad Core Mesh 2.4Ghz
Nokia 5800
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2009, 01:24 AM   #15
jmadlena
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
...
10.4 to 10.5 upgrade
10.4 to 10.5 server upgrade
10.4 server to 10.5 upgrade
10.4 server to 10.5 server upgrade
10.4 to 10.5 wipe
10.4 to 10.5 server wipe
10.4 server to 10.5 wipe
10.4 server to 10.5 server wipe
10.3 to 10.5 upgrade
10.3 to 10.5 server upgrade
10.3 server to 10.5 upgrade
10.3 server to 10.5 server upgrade
10.3 to 10.5 wipe
10.3 to 10.5 server wipe
10.3 server to 10.5 wipe
10.3 server to 10.5 server wipe
...
I think you missed the point. The graph shows what you are upgrading from, to what you are upgrading to and then you're required course of action. When I choose XP to Windows 7 Ultimate you MUST do a custom install. There isn't a choice of how you want to do it. I don't think that if I am going from Tiger to Snow Leopard I have to do an Erase and Install. I can choose which option I want.

It comes down to this, if you're on XP and want Windows 7 ultimate, you are forced to do a custom install.

If you're on Tiger and you want Snow Leopard, you can do an upgrade, an erase and install, or an archive and install.

Unless I am totally off the mark here about the article. If I am, please let me know!
  0
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:46 PM   #16
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000
 
PCMacUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Microsoft need many different versions to suit the different environments in which their OS is going to be installed.

For example, they have a low cost version for use in developing countries, business versions for enterprise environments where they don't want staff playing with Movie Maker and Media Centre, and of course versions for the basic and advanced home users out there.

It's really not unreasonable.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; MacBook 2.26GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD ; iPhone 3GS ; 80Gb iPod Classic ; 1Gb Shuffle ; AirPort Express
PCMacUser is offline   0
Old Aug 8, 2009, 03:49 AM   #17
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
Microsoft's 'choice' of operating systems only really causes a problem for the sort of people who have to use Velcro fasteners on their shoes.

90% of consumer Windows sales are included with the third party OEM manufacturer. Over 90% of those are Home Premium. Of the 10% who upgrade the vast majority choose Home Premium, the remainder purchasing Professional or Ultimate mainly for small businesses.

The myth that this bothers anyone with an IQ higher than that of a gerbil in the slightest is precisely that: a myth.
You are way misinformed

When Vista came out I worked at Circuit City and almost every single upgrading customer and new customer asked which version of Vista they should get.
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   0
Old Aug 8, 2009, 03:54 AM   #18
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
You are way misinformed

When Vista came out I worked at Circuit City and almost every single upgrading customer and new customer asked which version of Vista they should get.
Sorry, not buying that. The question you would be asked is "what PC should I buy". The OS is incidental.

And then, of course, you would have sold them a Home Premium equipped PC which would have made up the vast majority of your catalogue. As for upgraders, some might of and again you would have sold them Home Premium in the vast majority of cases.

Simples.
__________________
Unibody Macbook 2.0 Ghz
Quad Core Mesh 2.4Ghz
Nokia 5800
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Aug 8, 2009, 08:16 AM   #19
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
Sorry, not buying that. The question you would be asked is "what PC should I buy". The OS is incidental.

And then, of course, you would have sold them a Home Premium equipped PC which would have made up the vast majority of your catalogue. As for upgraders, some might of and again you would have sold them Home Premium in the vast majority of cases.

Simples.
So you are one of those annoying twits who pushes the product that brings the biggest commission rather than provide what his customers ask for? Thanks for clarifying that.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:30 PM   #20
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
So you are one of those annoying twits who pushes the product that brings the biggest commission rather than provide what his customers ask for? Thanks for clarifying that.
No. If I did that I would be selling them a Mac.

Plus, of course, HP costs less than Ultimate.

Was there anything else?
__________________
Unibody Macbook 2.0 Ghz
Quad Core Mesh 2.4Ghz
Nokia 5800
BongoBanger is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memory HOG! I think I spoiled my Mac Bushwood MacBook Pro 18 Feb 28, 2014 12:00 AM
iPad spoiled me - games for iPhone Italianblend iPhone 5 Oct 12, 2013 08:02 AM
rMBP has me spoiled! renosausage MacBook Pro 4 Jun 3, 2013 11:21 PM
Have we been spoiled by retina? scytus iMac 6 Oct 27, 2012 03:12 PM
Are we spoiled or have smartphones stagnated? Cod3rror iPhone 24 Sep 13, 2012 10:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC