Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Is it push as well? or is it just a shortcut? I was browsing here, post 125 and searched but I was unsuccessful at finding the app used to do this? Thanks.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It's an app called Mail and it comes on every single Mac, so you should have it on your computer. Basically it's like Outlook on a Windows computer, it fetches your emails for you and holds them so you can view them offline and manage them from a single application, and saves having to navigate to your emails using a web browser. The new mail notification shows up whenever there's a new email in your inbox, it's part of the app itself, not a plugin or anything. About Push, it depends on what type of email account you have. If it is a Yahoo account, for example, then it should appear in Mail the moment the other person sends it. For me, I have a Gmail account so I've set my Mail app to fetch new mail every minute...it's the closest thing I can get to push on my Mac at the moment.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
The new mail notification shows up whenever there's a new email in your inbox, it's part of the app itself, not a plugin or anything. About Push, it depends on what type of email account you have. If it is a Yahoo account, for example, then it should appear in Mail the moment the other person sends it. For me, I have a Gmail account so I've set my Mail app to fetch new mail every minute...it's the closest thing I can get to push on my Mac at the moment.

Right. But is there a program I have to download so I can add that icon on my dock?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Right. But is there a program I have to download so I can add that icon on my dock?

No, there should be a program called Mail in your Applications folder, it comes on every Mac. The member in that post you linked to is using Mail, but it just has a custom icon. This is the icon you're looking for in your Applications folder, drag it from that folder to your dock and enjoy:

Apple_Mail.png

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
No, there should be a program called Mail in your Applications folder, it comes on every Mac. In the post you've linked to, that member has changed it to a custom icon. This is the icon you're looking for, drag it to your dock:

Apple_Mail.png

Okay thank you very much. Thats what I was wanting to know! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.