Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Aug 7, 2009, 02:54 AM   #1
FX120
macrumors 65816

I gots hands on time with some cool gear today

Mackie is coming out with a revised version of their Onyx series boards, called the Onyx-i series, this time with built in firewire multitracking across all the input channels standard, with switchable pre-post EQ/fader switches (unlike the older which were only pre out), AND up to 16 channels back out, for using as digital inserts.

I can't tell anyone the pricing, but let's just say it's going to be really affordable. The formal announcement is going to be made in early september.

So if anyone is looking for an affordable multi-tracking solution that also is a great small format mixer, you might want to hold off on purchasing something until then. These new boards are a big winner in my book so far.

Oh, and they're going to work with Pro Tools.
FX120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 03:30 AM   #2
joe.cavers
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX120 View Post
Can you elaborate on this?

JC
joe.cavers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 09:15 AM   #3
zimv20
macrumors 601

mackie and digi have indeed worked out some kind of arrangement, and these mixers will ship w/ copies of PT8 and a mackie driver that make the mixer look like an m-audio interface.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:11 AM   #4
salientstimulus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX120 View Post
Mackie is coming out with a revised version of their Onyx series boards, called the Onyx-i series, this time with built in firewire multitracking across all the input channels standard, with switchable pre-post EQ/fader switches (unlike the older which were only pre out), AND up to 16 channels back out, for using as digital inserts.

I can't tell anyone the pricing, but let's just say it's going to be really affordable. The formal announcement is going to be made in early september.

So if anyone is looking for an affordable multi-tracking solution that also is a great small format mixer, you might want to hold off on purchasing something until then. These new boards are a big winner in my book so far.

This sounds like a good all-in-one deal. Since it's Mackie, I'm assuming the automation is pretty sweet (motorized touch-sensitive faders etc)?
salientstimulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 07:47 PM   #5
zimv20
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by salientstimulus View Post
Since it's Mackie, I'm assuming the automation is pretty sweet (motorized touch-sensitive faders etc)?
afaict, this is only for the onyx mixers, not any of the control surfaces. i.e. no motorized fader automation.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:49 PM   #6
FX120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
afaict, this is only for the onyx mixers, not any of the control surfaces. i.e. no motorized fader automation.
Yeah, these are only for live mixing, recording, and playback, not for use as a control surface while editing.
FX120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 06:29 PM   #7
zimv20
macrumors 601

i had read previously that avid and mackie had an arrangement, but now it's looking like they don't.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 06:37 PM   #8
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
I really miss my 1604 from back in the day. I miss direct outs across all channels. I would be rather unwilling though to use any interface other then my MOTUs. I'll have to check it out. I liked the original ONYX series. Sept. though is bad timing. I am going to have to get OS 10.6, Logic 9 upgrade, and a new 2TB back up drive, plus some other odds and ends. I would not be able to do a total studio make over at this point.

Thanks for sharing this.
synth3tik is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio