Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
I just received my brand new iPhone 3GS from Apple, because my previous one died on me ... further details, check this thread.

I took the new one out of the box, I let it charge for 12 hours like the guy at the store told me and now, when I put my SIM card in, which I've used before with my previous 3GS as well, iTunes says that the SIM is invalid.
Very strange because I've used the same SIM card before.

I tried DFU mode and recovering the iPhone, but the result stays the same.
All I have now is a 'slide for emergency' bar at the bottom ...

Invalid+SIM.png

Does anyone if there's a solution to this without jailbreaking/unlocking?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I'm from Belgium. They only sell factory unlocked phones here, so I definitely shouldn't be getting that problem.

Harman M

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
Try it with a friends sim card. If the prompt comes up again, it's definately the phone.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
Try it with a friends sim card. If the prompt comes up again, it's definately the phone.

Just called my provider, they told me my SIM card is outdated because it's from 2004.
Sounds strange, because it worked on my previous 3GS.
I'm gonna go into town and swap my old SIM for a new one and see if it works then.

Harman M

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
Just called my provider, they told me my SIM card is outdated because it's from 2004.
Sounds strange, because it worked on my previous 3GS.
I'm gonna go into town and swap my old SIM for a new one and see if it works then.

That's odd... I don't know whether or not SIM cards are able to 'date' but hopefully your provider switched up the way they network or something and made SIM card changes. Sucks having to get a new phone since they are never new.

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
Tried my dad's SIM as well, still doesn't work.

So it's definitely the phone?

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Damn, Apple's practically forcing me to do a jailbreak+unlock

Why not contact Apple and report this problem so they can arrange to replace the iPhone again. If it's faulty, the sensible thing to do is fix the problem, not find a way to work around it.

dtenen

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Registered on this forum just to lend a helping hand...

1. Turn on Airplane mode
2. Turn off the iPhone
3. Turn on the iPhone
4. Turn off Airplane mode
5. Settings > Carrier > Select your carrier

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
It sounds to me as if Apple has shipped a locked phone to Belgium by mistake, so you should take it back and get another.

(I'm assuming here that they're boxed for each market, and "unlocked" in bulk by Apple, rather than the carrier notifying Apple of each individual phone sold... if I'm wrong then maybe the carrier didn't scan the phone details correctly to get it unlocked... )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.