Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Hi All,

I have a bunch of macs in the house. I am trying to install Leopard on a 17" G5 imac but I can't get it to boot off my Leopard install CD (a dual-layer backup copy as the original cannot be located at the moment). The disk will mount under tiger, but will not boot, either from the internal DVD or an external drive.

Is there any good trick to do the install? I did an install onto an external USB drive that booted an intel iMac but that drive wouldn't boot the G5. Anyone have any tricks? I've never done target disk mode and don't think I have a firewire cable, but could get one if needed.

Thanks,

Jason

Lukeyboy01

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Birmingham, UK
did you torrent it? Naughty boy! Is it a full install or a upgrade. i can't remember if leopard disks are universal you might need to ''Borrow'' yourself a PPC version

alfista

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
No torrents here...legit apple shareholder with 9 apple devices in the house. Not very organized, but smart enough to back up all media onto the server.

I did not know that the GUID partition table that the intel mac used will not boot a G5, so I'm going to do some disk/partition shuffling with SuperDuper and see if I can get it down that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.