Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports that the next-generation iMac will see the inclusion of two "compelling" new features, although sources refuse to provide anything more than suggestions as to what those features might be.
One of those features is said to have long been on the wish-lists of many Mac users while the other is expected to cater to the semi-professional audio/video crowd. This is according to cryptic tips from people often familiar with the Mac maker's future product initiatives, but who declined to elaborate because they were not authorized to discuss the matter in detail.
The report speculates that one of those features may relate to Blu-ray, a technology that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has in the past referred to as a "bag of hurt", although recent licensing changes may result in Apple taking a closer look at bringing the technology to its computers.

The report also echoes previous assertions that Apple is likely to bring price reductions to the next-generation iMac line similar to those seen for its notebooks at WWDC earlier this year. Finally, sources suggest that Apple may be undertaking a redesign of the iMac enclosure, possibly patterned after the 24" LED Cinema Display introduced last October. It is unclear, however, whether such a redesign would be ready for the next-generation iMac or if it would be deployed as part of a subsequent update to the line.

Article Link: Next-Generation iMac to Offer Two 'Compelling' New Features?

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
Blu ray? that would be awesome.. count me in... and redesign would be sweet... i guess I should have waited before I bought one a couple months ago... oh well. There is always something new and better out there!

JonDownin

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
I just can't see Apple going with Blu-ray. Physical disc media is on its way out and Apple has obvious motive to push consumers towards digital downloads.

glassx

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
i would like them to call it "mac" instead of imac
probably a sd card slot, and unibody
blu-ray would probably go on a mac pro first

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
(1) LED w/ Matte option
(2) Blu-Ray

Although, I want a Quad-Core processor, but I do not think that is coming, especially not if the case is going to get even slimmer. The Clarksfield chips are too low a clock rate for Apple and the Desktop Quad-Core's run too hot.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
One of those features is said to have long been on the wish-lists of many Mac users while the other is expected to cater to the semi-professional audio/video crowd.

Long been on the wish-lists of many Mac users: Blu-Ray.
Semi-professional audio/video crowd: Could be a number of things, but I'd venture to guess quad-core processor would rank very high on that list.

pinyourwings22

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Ohio
i was going to wait to buy my new iMac a couple weeks ago for fear that they would come out with new features, but honestly i would probably have to wait at least a year to get any solid specs for the next line.

and blu-ray doesn't seem that important when it's getting so easy to directly hook up your HDTV's to computers now

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Don't get me wrong, I think the latest iMac is gorgeous, but the current pedestal design is now 5 years old. I'd like to see something substantially new.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
My iMac is showing it's age at almost 2 years old; an 800 mHz bus doesn't cut it anymore.
Mine is almost 2 years old as well and it works just fine for all tasks (including editing and rendering 1080 video). I guess it really depends on what you use it for.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Physical disc media is on its way out and Apple has obvious motive to push consumers towards digital downloads.

False on the first count and true on the second. Apple wants you to believe the first in order to force you to accept the second. When drawing a cart with a horse it's always a good idea to get the order of operation right. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.