Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I am about to sell my iPhone 2G. Can I use MobileMe's Remote Wipe to clean the data? Will this affect the SIM card? I want to take the SIM card out and use it unaltered in another phone (not an iPhone). Will I be able to do this after performing Remote Wipe?

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
I am about to sell my iPhone 2G. Can I use MobileMe's Remote Wipe to clean the data? Will this affect the SIM card? I want to take the SIM card out and use it unaltered in another phone (not an iPhone). Will I be able to do this after performing Remote Wipe?

Why wouldn't you just plug it into Itunes and hit restore to default :confused: I think that might be better :)

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
if you actually own the handset and have physical access, why not do it on the phone itself?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I didn't know you could do it that simply; I know you used to could not. So does restoring via iTunes really wipe out all of my data? It used to leave many traces lying around; there have been may articles about this.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings should be your friend, otherwise a remote wipe should do the trick. I have no idea how it will affect your SIM card.
Thanks. I had read everywhere that data could be recovered easily after doing this, but maybe that has been improved in 3.0 (I hope so anyway).

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I did the "Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings" thing and it says it will take about an hour.

sfditty

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I suspect Remote wipe or "Erase all content and settings" don't really do a full wipe, though they may be good enough for your purposes. I say this because "Erase all content and settings" used to take a little over 2 hours to complete- I know this from experience. I did both "Erase all content and settings" and a remote wipe on my 3GS last week to get rid of a problem that a restore couldn't fix. Both took apparently no time, despite the "two hours" warning before running. Also, there used to be a progress bar to indicate how far in the wiping process the iphone was, but in 3.0 there is no progress bar.

The two methods in 3.0 are identical as far as I know, it's just that one can be run remotely. But to actually wipe the data, the way 2.x did, it simply can't be done nearly instantaneously. It takes time to overwrite the entire flash memory (save some basic operating system components) several times, the way 2.0 did.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I suspect Remote wipe or "Erase all content and settings" don't really do a full wipe, though they may be good enough for your purposes. I say this because "Erase all content and settings" used to take a little over 2 hours to complete- I know this from experience. I did both "Erase all content and settings" and a remote wipe on my 3GS last week to get rid of a problem that a restore couldn't fix. Both took apparently no time, despite the "two hours" warning before running. Also, there used to be a progress bar to indicate how far in the wiping process the iphone was, but in 3.0 there is no progress bar.

The two methods in 3.0 are identical as far as I know, it's just that one can be run remotely. But to actually wipe the data, the way 2.x did, it simply can't be done nearly instantaneously. It takes time to overwrite the entire flash memory (save some basic operating system components) several times, the way 2.0 did.
I just did the "Erase all content and settings" tonight (I am running 3.0) and it took about an hour (and it did indeed have a progress bar).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.