Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Im making this thread for my friend

he wants a phone with wifi and i told him to do this

buy an iphone 3g/3gs, pay for 1 month of the iphone data plan, then switch the sim card to his razr, cancel the data plan saying he lost the iphone, then unlock the iphone and just use it for wifi

he doesnt care about the data plan, but he wants a phone with wifi

thanks in advance

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
There's no need for all the lying.

He'll have to pay an early termination fee and the pro-rated amounts that they charge. It's not cheap.

I believe his "friend' does not plan to leave ATT in which case, there is no need for ETF. He just wants to use the iphone without the iphone data plan.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Only way around, would be for him to pay full price for a phone (without a plan), and then use a prepaid SIM card, with a GoPhone plan or something like that. I don't think you can have an iphone on the AT&T network with voice only.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
AT&T + iPhone = $30 data plan. It's the price to play with the iPhone, and it's how AT&T can make some money.

You can't always get what you want!

dns72

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
I think the data plan is great. It's well worth it and neccesary for the iPhone. Like others have said, he should just an iPod touch and use skype.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I don't know how AT&T works but Rogers let's you cancel your dAta plan for a maximum charge of $100. And you can cancel a minute after you get it

HarrisonB

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Ugh what's with people that get iPhones and no data plan. It totally defeats the purpose. If there is wifi around dude prolly has his laptop, unless he opted to get a laptop that can only plug into ethernet, which wouldn't surprise me with this guy.

MichealWeston

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
AT&T has ways to figure out what phone is being used on the account at all times. Once the Iphone has been detected on the phone line the internet service plan will be readded to the account. Listen it's always been go big or go home with the Iphone, for you to have the phone on the AT&T service plan you need to also have the data plan. Even if you switch phones and sim as soon as a iphone is detected through one of the many sweeps that is performed each month to detect phones on incorrect plans an Iphone data plan will be added to the account. No way around it. If they detect multiple occurances of fraudulant activity such as removing the data plan you agree to when you sign the 2 year contract AT&T has all rights to cancel the plan as well and also charge you for full price of the phone on your credit card, that's why AT&T requires a credit card now to purchase the phone.

ant131531

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
Yes, i read on ATT site when seeing how ordering online works, it saids the iPhone plan will be on for the life of your iPhone. Att has a right to add a data plan to your bill if it has been detected you do not have one.

jacobgaul

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
Thats false

Yes, i read on ATT site when seeing how ordering online works, it saids the iPhone plan will be on for the life of your iPhone. Att has a right to add a data plan to your bill if it has been detected you do not have one.

yes applejuiced is correct.

ant; altho they state it that is incorrect, i removed it after 1 month of having it and switched to family data and have had no issues, just have to change some info around

Tajik

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
Unlocked Iphone 3G

Hi guys,

Can you clarify smth for me? It has been bothering me. So I bought a phone off of craigslist. It is unlocked and jailbroken iphone 3g with the very latest software. I am an ATT customer. How can I make sure I do not incur any data charges? I want to use the phone to make calls and use internet ONLY on wifis. I do not want the data plan because it is expensive. I was using internet without a SIM yesterday on my home wifi. I put in my SIM and my ATT account online shows that I have an iphone. Will there be any data charges and how to avoid them? Thanks a lot.

ChaSSe

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
Hi guys,

Can you clarify smth for me? It has been bothering me. So I bought a phone off of craigslist. It is unlocked and jailbroken iphone 3g with the very latest software. I am an ATT customer. How can I make sure I do not incur any data charges? I want to use the phone to make calls and use internet ONLY on wifis. I do not want the data plan because it is expensive. I was using internet without a SIM yesterday on my home wifi. I put in my SIM and my ATT account online shows that I have an iphone. Will there be any data charges and how to avoid them? Thanks a lot.

Then just use it on wifi. You dont have to tell them you have an iPhone, but if they found out that you were using one with out a data plan they will tack one on.

Tajik

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
Then just use it on wifi. You dont have to tell them you have an iPhone, but if they found out that you were using one with out a data plan they will tack one on.

If I only use wifi, will I uncur any charges like when I use the phone for making calls? ATT told me that they can't add data plan without my permission. And do I need to turn off any settings like 3g to avoid charges? THanks for your help

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
Hi guys,

There's no way to. They can tell and will slap the charge on there. You're SOL.

dns72

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
What he says its true. You don't need the $30 plan. Not everyone can afford the monthly charge.

Also, if he wants and iPhone, no one should say otherwise.
of course not everyone needs the data plan, but what I was saying is that it's neccesary if you want to be with AT&T

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Since AT&T can detect what kind of phone you are using fairly quickly, chances are they will add the data plan on there or send you messages saying you need to add one (I have heard of this happening).

ChaSSe

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
If I only use wifi, will I uncur any charges like when I use the phone for making calls? ATT told me that they can't add data plan without my permission. And do I need to turn off any settings like 3g to avoid charges? THanks for your help

We can add it whenever the system shows that you are using an iPhone. We can tell this by seeing what device is making the calls, sending the texts or using any kind of data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.