Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sschwar2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2001
Greetings,

Is it possible to use a powerbook to act as the keyboard/mouse/monitor of a desktop (quicksilver)? The most important to me is the monitor .. as I do not have one anymore :)

Thanks!!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It's going to be much harder since you don't have a monitor - can you borrow one for an hour or so? If so, you can install VNC on the Quicksilver and Chicken of the VNC on the PB (both free, both easily found on the web), then remotely control the Quicksilver via the PB.

You could also spend a fortune on Apple Remote Desktop, but it isn't necessary.

While this is all somewhat indirect - you're going to be using a remote connection, not wiring the monitor, KB, and mouse to the Quicksilver - there are some plusses:

(1) You can use the PB and switch over to remotely controlling the other Mac as you see fit - no plugging and unplugging cables.

(2) You can connect wirelessly, should your equipment be properly set up.

sschwar2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2001
I have been connecting in wirelessly to the desktop from the PB copying over the files I want to save - but I wanted to reload the OS on the Quicksilver before I sell it.. any other options other than having a monitor?

thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.