Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nman040

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Q1):
I've been reading up quite a bit on cracked hinge issues that have plagued the MBA. It seems like the Rev A's are the ones that are affected but they only arose towards the end of 2008/early 2009. I'm guessing Apple probably wasn't aware of such a problem during the manufacture of Rev Bs so I'm guessing they too may potentially suffer cracked hinges......?

Are there any Rev B victims out there? Or are there signs of "slop"/loose hinges?

Q2): If this problem is unavoidable, is there a way to prolong the life of the hinge before the inevitable happens? Is the cause due repetitive opening and closing or is it due to force being acted on it when it's closed (eg if it's in a bag with books maybe)?

Thanks for your time

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
There is some question as to whether or not the hinge design changed at all between Rev A and Rev B. Part of the issue is that the problem seems to crop up with use over time, and the Rev As have been on the market longer. Thus, there were hinge issues. The truth will come out over time as the Rev B first showed up in November of 2008. I bought mine in March 2009, and the hinge has held up so far (knock on wood). Read through the forums and search for hinge / slop and there are cases of people having this occur on the Rev B units.

Another bit is that for the longest time, Apple seemed to deny the hinge repairs and force people to pay full price for the repairs; however, folks in the forum have been reporting a shift in that behavior toward repairing under warranty.

A lot of folks reported one hinge breaking before the other, so one strategy might be to try and always open and close the lid from the center so as to minimize overloading one hinge or the other by adding a torsional component. I do try to only open mine from the center, but when in a hurry, I find myself not always doing that :eek: Also, I try not to continue opening after I get some resistance.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have never read of a rev B with the problem. It has always been original MBA's that are reported to have faulty hinges. It could be that they're more warn out, or it could be that Apple made them stronger.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
I have never read of a rev B with the problem. It has always been original MBA's that are reported to have faulty hinges. It could be that they're more warn out, or it could be that Apple made them stronger.

A very quick forum search came up with:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/7451159/

Admittedly, much fewer than the Rev As, but not able to dismiss them out of hand. I truly hope Apple has made improvements as I have a vested interest.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
My Rev.B 1.6 HDD hinge started to wobble after 2 or 3 months (bought in February) so I had it repaired by apple (via Genius at Apple Store) and flogged it on eBay just before the Rev.C came out :D

I now use a mini at home, and my 3GS in the field. Not perfect, but then neither is apple's MacBook line up. I am waiting for a definite hardware upgrade (in quality, not necessarily appearance). Luckily I don't require a laptop at work as much as I did a six months ago at the moment...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.