Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoot713

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
So recently i just bought a Yamaha UX16 5-pin to usb wire...it goes from my Casio CTK-471 keyboard to my mac...jus bought the mac about a month or two ago so its basically brand new.

Problem:
I get the wire hooked up, go to the Midi Settings, get that all hooked up the right way and hit test settings. The Midi out is working, but not the Midi In.

Im stumped. Ive looked at about half a million different solutions and none are working.
Hopefully, some of u might have an idea.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The Midi out is working, but not the Midi In.

So you can send midi data to your keyboard and hear it play on the keyboard but when you press keys on the keyboard no data goes to the computer?

I have to ask because "in" and "out" depend on if you are sitting at the keyboard or at the computer.

What did you do to test your setup? What have you already tried?

scoot713

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Well, when i go to the Audio Midi Setup screen, i hooked everything up and when i hit "Test Setup" and press the Midi out arrow from the Yamaha UX16 interface to the keyboard, the light on the interface showing that the signal went out to the keyboard lights up. But when i press the keys on the keyboard the "Midi In" doesnt and the comp doesnt get the signal back.
Im not really sure what else to try.
Ive dled the Midi Monitor and its showing no signal from anything.

Also, i just got the Yamaha UX16 about 4 days ago. Installed all the software, drivers, etc. Ive also updated the driver from the Yamaha site.

When i hook up the interface to the comp it says the powers on, but im starting to wonder if somethings wrong with the actual "Midi In" cable.

Hope i explained it better, just ask if i left something out...
Thanks

TwoSpot

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
I just picked up a mac on Friday. Hooked up my Presonus Firestudio Project and my Yamaha keyboard and I am having the exact problem. From the system to the keyboard works (sound emits from the keyboard speaker when I click the arrow in the MIDI utility) but when I hit the keyboard keys, I get nothing to the computer.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just picked up a mac on Friday. Hooked up my Presonus Firestudio Project and my Yamaha keyboard and I am having the exact problem. From the system to the keyboard works (sound emits from the keyboard speaker when I click the arrow in the MIDI utility) but when I hit the keyboard keys, I get nothing to the computer.[/QUOTE

If your MIDI interface cable is like mine there are activity LEDs on it. If you are playing keys on the music keyboard and you don't see any flashing on the activity LED the problem is not with the Mac or software. The activity LED will flash whenever the keyboard sends midi data even if the computer is not "listening".

What you need to do is tell your keyboard to send midi. There is likely a menu option to turn this on and off. Most keyboards have dozens of midi setup options.

TwoSpot

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
I just picked up a mac on Friday. Hooked up my Presonus Firestudio Project and my Yamaha keyboard and I am having the exact problem. From the system to the keyboard works (sound emits from the keyboard speaker when I click the arrow in the MIDI utility) but when I hit the keyboard keys, I get nothing to the computer.[/QUOTE

If your MIDI interface cable is like mine there are activity LEDs on it. If you are playing keys on the music keyboard and you don't see any flashing on the activity LED the problem is not with the Mac or software. The activity LED will flash whenever the keyboard sends midi data even if the computer is not "listening".

What you need to do is tell your keyboard to send midi. There is likely a menu option to turn this on and off. Most keyboards have dozens of midi setup options.

Thanks ChrisA. Interestingly enough, when I got home from work and sat down to mess with it, it magically worked. Go figure. I am good to go now. Thanks for your response!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.