Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Jun 19, 2004, 09:46 PM   #1
johnbro23
macrumors 6502a

Is RollerCoaster Tycoon on the Mac?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you get RollerCoaster Tycoon for Macs?

How do I find out what other games I can get for Macs?
johnbro23 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:32 AM   #2
bnemesis
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to bnemesis Send a message via AIM to bnemesis Send a message via Yahoo to bnemesis
No. There is no port of the Rollercoaster tycoon series to the macintosh platform.

A good place to start looking for mac games and reviews is
Inside Mac Games: http://insidemacgames.com/
bnemesis is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 08:38 AM   #3
applekid
macrumors 68020

Word on the street is Rollercoaster was written in completely, or near-completely in Intel assembly making porting difficult to near impossible. I'm sure porting houses looked at the code, but I don't believe they have the resources to make it to the Mac.
applekid is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 09:10 AM   #4
fuzzie
macrumors newbie

Someone (crazily) ported</a> it to cross-platform C, based on the disassembly of the x86 binary: http://www.openttd.com/. It works fine on OS X (and Linux), but you need Transport Tycoon Deluxe for Windows for the data files, (look at the forums for sources of this), and it's not quite perfect (although really, really impressive).
fuzzie is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 09:20 AM   #5
johnbro23
macrumors 6502a

I never really understood it. Why can't Steve just make Tiger .exe compatible? I'm sure it would make more people buy Macs. Thats the only thing that made me think twice about buying a Mac- there weren't any games for it. But I got one anyways and I'm really happy with it.
johnbro23 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:48 AM   #6
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbro23
I never really understood it. Why can't Steve just make Tiger .exe compatible? I'm sure it would make more people buy Macs. Thats the only thing that made me think twice about buying a Mac- there weren't any games for it. But I got one anyways and I'm really happy with it.
I don't know if you're kidding or not... but making Mac OS X compatible with .exe is not as easy as Steve telling some coders to do it. There are much bigger issues brought about by the differing architectures. My final post, I'm off to Africa , good bye!
Wes is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 02:02 PM   #7
Ninja_Turtle
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Ninja_Turtle
party

HEY YOU DONT NEED ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON!!! PLAY SIM SANDWHICH!
Ninja_Turtle is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 04:14 PM   #8
johnbro23
macrumors 6502a

Wes, no, I wasn't joking. I don't know much about computers. It just seems like just a simple thing. I mean its just a file format right? Just like .wma? You can play it on Macs even though it is "Windows" Media Player format. Oh, well. If it was easy to get Macs to open .exe then Apple would have made that happen already.

Ninja Turtle, Sim Sandwhich? Umm...
johnbro23 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 05:56 PM   #9
applekid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Wes, no, I wasn't joking. I don't know much about computers. It just seems like just a simple thing. I mean its just a file format right? Just like .wma? You can play it on Macs even though it is "Windows" Media Player format. Oh, well. If it was easy to get Macs to open .exe then Apple would have made that happen already.
.exe is an executable. An executable is a program to the computer. So, no it's not a file format.

In a way, your question is sorta like asking why won't the Windows version of Windows Media Player not work on a Mac. They're two very different programs as far as the code goes and that's what matters to the machine.
applekid is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 09:07 PM   #10
Ninja_Turtle
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Ninja_Turtle
party

Quote:

Ninja Turtle, Sim Sandwhich? Umm...

whoops i spelled it wrong... sim sandwich haha heres the link!

http://www.cogulus.com/archive/simsa...ich/index.html
Ninja_Turtle is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 03:39 AM   #11
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

johnbro23: That's like saying "Why don't the tape player manufacturers make it so that you can play CDs on them? Or the CD player manufacturers make it so that you can play tapes on them? That would just make it so much simpler and you wouldn't need two players then."

The Macs are the CD players and the Wintel computers are the tape players. The CDs and tapes are the programs. There is no way you can try to play one in another. The shapes don't even match. The only way you can hear the stuff on one is to convert the media into the other using some sort of conversion technique. Similarly, the games and programs on Wintel computers have to be ported over into something the Macs can understand. And vica versa.

I probably could have found a better comparison, but you get the idea.

irmongoose
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:36 AM   #12
johnbro23
macrumors 6502a

I think you explained it pretty well. That kind of sucks though. Why did Jobs decide to make his computers "cd players"? Why couldn't he and Bill Gates make a deal so that they played, say, 8 tracks?
johnbro23 is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 09:17 AM   #13
applekid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I think you explained it pretty well. That kind of sucks though. Why did Jobs decide to make his computers "cd players"? Why couldn't he and Bill Gates make a deal so that they played, say, 8 tracks?
Because they are competitors.
applekid is offline   0
Old Jun 21, 2004, 04:32 PM   #14
Foxer
macrumors 65816

You can't really blame Steve for not making Mac compatible with windows since Mac OS predates Windows (windows, in fact, being a rip-off of Mac OS). Of course, Windows is built on the (creeky) tower of MS-DOS, which DOES pre-date Mac OS. And then there is Mac OS X, which is really all new compared to the original Mac OS.

Confused yet? I guess the whole thing is a chicken-and-the-egg thing.

Mmmm, Chicken. Dinner time!

"I'll buy almost anything if it is shiny and made by Apple."
Foxer is offline   0
Old Aug 9, 2004, 04:45 PM   #15
STXBoomyer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie
Someone (crazily) ported</a> it to cross-platform C, based on the disassembly of the x86 binary: http://www.openttd.com/. It works fine on OS X (and Linux), but you need Transport Tycoon Deluxe for Windows for the data files, (look at the forums for sources of this), and it's not quite perfect (although really, really impressive).
Hey fuzzie i can't get that page to load. Is it just me? If it isn't can you hook me up with an updated link, or place to find out how to get my copy to work? Thanks a lot....
STXBoomyer is offline   0
Old Aug 9, 2004, 04:47 PM   #16
STXBoomyer
macrumors newbie

sorry it double posted
STXBoomyer is offline   0
Old Aug 9, 2004, 06:15 PM   #17
Tremaine
macrumors member

Try No Limits Coasters. It is the best roller coaster sim out there, inexpensive, and is available on the Mac. Including a nice demo. Check it out

www.nolimitscoaster.com
Tremaine is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games