Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I plug in my iPod Touch and it always opens iPhoto. I took off photo syncing with iTunes and did nothing. I have iPhoto v6.0.6 and I could not find a "disable sync" anywhere in the preferences. I fond the application image capture but when I open it, nothing happens (the menu switches for a split second from finder to image capture then back to finder). I heard you can disable it through image capture but since the program seems to be faulty and does not open so I dont know what to do. Any help would be great, thx.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
THis is a pain in the neck of a bug. There's no reason that we shouldn't be able to easily turn off this thing. I have a bunch of saved wallpapers on my iPod touch, and I don't want them in iPhoto. I should easily be able to disallow iPhoto from opening when I connect my iPod touch, but I haven't found anything other than a complicated Applescript.

Is this really such a terrible oversight that it couldn't have been easily fixed in the last iPhoto update?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
iPhoto is opening not because Photos syncing has been enabled. Its because the iPod touch and iPhone are recognized as digital cameras by iPhoto. Although the iPod touch cannot actually take pictures, it can save screenshots, download images from websites as wallpaper, etc. Inside of the Image Capture application, navigate to the Image Capture menu in the upper left, then to preferences. Tell Image Capture to take no action when connecting a digital camera. This will prevent iPhoto from automatically opening when you connect the iPod touch, iPhone, or a proper digital camera for that matter.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
iPhoto is opening not because Photos syncing has been enabled. Its because the iPod touch and iPhone are recognized as digital cameras by iPhoto. Although the iPod touch cannot actually take pictures, it can save screenshots, download images from websites as wallpaper, etc. Inside of the Image Capture application, navigate to the Image Capture menu in the upper left, then to preferences. Tell Image Capture to take no action when connecting a digital camera. This will prevent iPhoto from automatically opening when you connect the iPod touch, iPhone, or a proper digital camera for that matter.

And that's the problem. What if I do have a digital camera (I do), and I want iPhoto to open whenever it's connected (I do)? With all of their testing and whatnot on software before it's released, why is this not an option in either iPhoto or on the iPod/iPhone firmware? Again, it seems like a glaring oversight.

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC

The problem is Image capture will not open. I double click on it, it opens for a split second then goes away with out the operating system ever saying it unexpectedly quit.

LurkingIowan

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
And that's the problem. What if I do have a digital camera (I do), and I want iPhoto to open whenever it's connected (I do)? With all of their testing and whatnot on software before it's released, why is this not an option in either iPhoto or on the iPod/iPhone firmware? Again, it seems like a glaring oversight.

Bingo. This annoys me to no end. My "solution" was to delete any file that caused iPhoto to open when syncing my iPod Touch and assume that Apple would correct it eventually...

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
This doesn't work, though, if you've got files on there that you use to customize the lockscreen background. I go through through the Threads app and get pics from there to use as backgrounds; save even one of those and iPhoto won't shut up when my iPod touch is plugged in. Again, an oversight on Apple's part, and it shouldn't take much to fix.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I may be nuts (someone correct me if I am), but I'm pretty sure this isn't happening since I updated to SL. Whether it's how the touch is treated or some slight tweak somewhere, I don't know; but I haven't seen iPhoto open when I attach my iPod touch yet since I've installed SL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.