Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Jun 20, 2004, 04:13 PM   #1
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Digital voice recorders

I'm interested in buying a voice recorder for college. I was looking around. SOme of the sony's have Dragon Naturally Speaking software so you convert it to text, but it won't work with a mac. I saw an olmpus DS-330 that i liked but it can't convert it to text....Anyone have this? Have something better?
Thanks
puckhead193 is offline   0
Old Jun 20, 2004, 05:41 PM   #2
Amani
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Amani
I have the DS-330. It's worked fine for me. I've used mainly for audio backup in wedding video productions. I especially like the sound detection feature that turns the recording on when specified sound range is detected.
The interface is a little tricky to learn, so be sure to keep the instructions that come with it. I forget how much I paid for it--more than I wanted to! In terms of converting to text, you might be able to upload to your computer and convert using some type of software. If you or anyone else knows of any such software, please let me know about it.
My photoblog. iBook G3, PowerMac G5, OS X 2.8 and Panther. wireless connection. Interests: Final Cut Express, DVD Pro, Learning Garage Band, which means learning music for the first time. Mac user since 1991.
Amani is offline   0
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:19 AM   #3
OldManJimbo
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to OldManJimbo Send a message via Yahoo to OldManJimbo Send a message via Skype™ to OldManJimbo
This is abit low-tech, but stick with me.

I used the Dragon voice recognition software for many years and despite having a professionally trained voice (great diction and clarity) I could never get the darn thing to give me than about 80% accuracy. There are just a lot of words it never could understand.

When I switched to the Apple platform a few months ago, a friend suggested I try a system called iDictate, and I am never going back the electronic voice recognition.

iDictate <http://www.idictate.com> are a bunch of LIVE transcriptionists who will take your audio file and return it for 1-cent per word. They can take dictation over the phone, you can send them a wav file, they will transcribe handwritten notes you fax in. Amazing.

And the best thing - they can add style and formatting. I can say "please put this heading in bold" and they will. Unusual words are no problem, I just s-p-e-l-l them out.

You get the idea. I still use the Sony digital recorder that came with Dragon, but I don't miss the voice recognition program one little bit.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 05:00 PM   #4
vgoklani
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to vgoklani
OLYMPUS DM-10 or DM-20
vgoklani is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews