Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:22 PM   #1
afousek
macrumors member

Voice memo ---> Ringtones?

Hi, is there a way to (easily) take a voice memo recorded from the iPhone and make it a ringtone (on the iPhone)?
afousek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:32 PM   #2
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by afousek View Post
Hi, is there a way to (easily) take a voice memo recorded from the iPhone and make it a ringtone (on the iPhone)?
Just email the voice memo. It's a m4a file. Download it to your desktop and then change the m4a to a ringtone using iTunes. Add the new m4r file to the iPhone. I've glossed over the steps, but you should know how to do "converting to a ringtone." If not search. If you can't find it and have really tried, I'll tell you.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a

Once you have the M4a file on your desktop rename it to an m4r that makes it a ringtone then add back into itunes.

Make sure you have your settings set to show file extensions to rename the file extension.

If your on windows you may get a message saying that you could mess up the file thats normal to see just windows way of being annoying.
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 01:05 PM   #4
MuchTooPerilous
macrumors newbie

More instructions

Here's another way for mac users:
http://www.grumpyjim.com/blog/Grumpy...he_iPhone.html
MuchTooPerilous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 01:10 PM   #5
nan3rd
macrumors newbie

Voice memo >>>>>Ringtone??

GrumpyJim>MuchTooPerilous: I have my voice memo but when I emailed to to myself it is a Memo.amr file.

I'm not sure if my iphone is synced to itunes, but I'd appreciate an explanation if possible please. I see nowhere on the emailed file where I can save it or send it to itunes.

I agree with you that this is not easy, at least in my 'old' eyes.

Thank you in advance,
nan3rd
nan3rd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 01:28 PM   #6
tiggger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan3rd View Post
GrumpyJim>MuchTooPerilous: I have my voice memo but when I emailed to to myself it is a Memo.amr file.

I'm not sure if my iphone is synced to itunes, but I'd appreciate an explanation if possible please. I see nowhere on the emailed file where I can save it or send it to itunes.

I agree with you that this is not easy, at least in my 'old' eyes.

Thank you in advance,
nan3rd
don't know what kind of computer your using, but if you have a Mac it's way easy...

i just emailed a voice memo to myself and then saved it to my desktop. the voice memo saved as "Memo.m4a", i changed the "a" in .m4a to an "r" and hit enter. a dialog box pops up and asks if your sure you want to change the extension from "m4a" to "m4r"? click on the use .m4r button. file name changed. open iTunes and then click on the .m4r file on your desktop and drag it onto the iTunes window and let go and iTunes will automatically put the .m4r file into your "Tones" directory. Sync your iPhone with iTunes and your done.

it took longer to type all this up then it takes to do all that was mentioned above...
tiggger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone