Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I am curious how many of you transport your MBAs with a sleeve inside a bag or simply a bag.

How much more protection will a sleeve offer rather than simply putting it inside a computer bag with a separate area for the laptop?

I did pick up a Waterfield design sleeve - but it seems to add a little too much room to my bag rather than just putting it in the bag without the sleeve.

Just curious what everyone on the forum does and also some thoughts I might not of had on the subject.

Thanks in Advance!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I don't use any sort of "shield" nor sleeve to protect my current nor past MBAs. It is so sleek and pretty, why not show it off. I just throw it in my tote along with everything else. Usually I turn the top in towards any paper and magazines and carry top towards my lap. It doesn't get any scratches, yet is simple to access at any moment.

Enjoy your MBA. Don't cover and hide it. In the end, it's all about enjoying it not fearing ownership!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I sorta had a laissez-faire attitude about my MBA Rev 2, and used to man handle it and put it in a bag without protection, but I had an incident where I dropped my air in a bag (with books) on the floor and dented it. I lost my warranty and everything. Ever since then, I always carry it in an INCASE 13in laptop bag by itself. I paid 400 to get an issue fix as well as restore the warranty, so screw aesthetics... All in all, the laptop cost me 2400 new plus the 400 to repair the issue I had so damn right im gonna take good care of it!!!:)

muronero

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
the mba is so light... it doesn't really need a computers' bag for your shoulder's comfort... i use a sleeve and i put it in whatever bag i want... so i change bag according with the style, colors or stuff i need to carry....

before, with my old mbp, i was somehow slave of a specific computers' bag...of course i could use a sleeve as well... but very often normal bags dont have a particulary good strap or sometimes the right structure to carry that kind of weight ...

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
No sleeve/cover for me. I carry it in one of two bags: a messenger bag with a removable, cushioned laptop "pouch" or a backpack with a separate laptop pocket.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I'm obviously in the minority, but I use an Incipio Orion sleeve (the burnt orange variety) to cover my Bodyguardz-protected Rev B, whilst my wife has a red Incipio Orion for those rare times when she takes her Rev A beyond our flat.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
For my laptop I used a sleeve, then a backpack- but there were times sliding it into the sleeve where I almost dropped it. At the same time my backpack at the time didn't have as much protection as I would have prefered so I continued to use the sleeve.

Now I just use my backpack for my Macbook and will for my soon to arrive MacBook Pro.

If I had an air I would consider more protection just because I saw a pic of a corder damaged on an Air one time- not sure how sturdy they are, but based on this one pic it didn't look so.

My inlaws MBA is only protected by a flimsey briefcase....so it is all about preference, where you haul it, and how you care for it.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Incase slim in a regular messenger bag. I just make sure I don't throw my bag on the ground and its great.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
Marware (CEO)

marware-ceo-envi.jpg

very thin
looks professional
protects it from scratches and small bumps

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
What ports?

Aren't the ports all covered when not in use by the door that closes when you don't need access to them?

I agree, I have no clue how that could happen as the door closes itself with any pressure. I see no way to truly get the ports dirty as closing the port door is simple and natural reaction after removing a cable from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.