Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
So my power cable is ripping, leaving exposed wires near the joint where it goes into the iPhone. This happened from general use, has anyone had success getting a replacement cord for this?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't think they would replace it for free. You can always buy a new cable. However, ripping is of user fault and would not get replaced for free.

CalumC

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Leeds, UK
I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say that its definitely a product defect, but my cable had exactly the same problem. It still works for me, but i bought a new one anyway, plus I wanted one with a firewire connection. I think it happened because of the way I wrap the cable around the power unit when i'm moving around.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't think they would replace it for free. You can always buy a new cable. However, ripping is of user fault and would not get replaced for free.

Apple is so lame. They are supposed to be sell "good quality" stuff yet a simple cable rips up! Mine does not move from my night stand it it is also ripping. I don't see my mom and brothers LG chargers coming appart or my dads nextel charger ripping at the ends. They should replace it for free!:rolleyes:

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Hmmm so do you think its worth even making an appointment and trying? Or are they just gonna laugh at me lol?

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't even feel it is worth the drive. Does it still work? If yes, take a bit more careful care with it (to not rip it more) and live on. Don't think they will replace it.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I'm in the same boat. I just realized mine is coming apart at the USB side of the cord. I plan to stop by the apple store and see what they'll do. I agree with the poster who said I expect quality from Apple when I pay their prices. I don't want to pay 20 bucks for another and have the same crap happen again every few months.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
So my power cable is ripping, leaving exposed wires near the joint where it goes into the iPhone. This happened from general use, has anyone had success getting a replacement cord for this?

Thanks in advance.

Same thing happened to me back in first quarter or late last year I think, and yes they did replace it. They said it shouldn't be like that after just a couple of months use, bought mine back in July '08. They replaced it with no questions asked.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
The sheathing started separating from the phone end of the connector. I always pull it out of the phone from the connector, not the wire. The Apple store at first told me it was my fault. When I inquired why, I never pull on the wire, they said they would replace it one time for me.

I don't understand why the user should be responsible for an obvious design flaw. If the cord hangs with a certain amount of pressure pulling on the connector, the sheathing starts to pull away from the connector. I've never had this happen on any other type of cord, be it a power cord, video cable, audio, etc. If I could get some heat shrink around it, I'd put it on and be done with it. But the USB end and connector end are both too big to get any heat shrink tubing around it that will do any good.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Same thing happened to me back in first quarter or late last year I think, and yes they did replace it. They said it shouldn't be like that after just a couple of months use, bought mine back in July '08. They replaced it with no questions asked.

That's what I wanted to hear, I'm gonna go for it lol.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I'm having the same problem. One from my iPod cable (Nano 3rd gen), and one on a iPhone 3G cable.

Actually, no. It's on 3 cables, iPhone 3G, iPhone first one, and iPod Nano.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
The sheathing started separating from the phone end of the connector. I always pull it out of the phone from the connector, not the wire. The Apple store at first told me it was my fault. When I inquired why, I never pull on the wire, they said they would replace it one time for me.

I don't understand why the user should be responsible for an obvious design flaw. If the cord hangs with a certain amount of pressure pulling on the connector, the sheathing starts to pull away from the connector. I've never had this happen on any other type of cord, be it a power cord, video cable, audio, etc. If I could get some heat shrink around it, I'd put it on and be done with it. But the USB end and connector end are both too big to get any heat shrink tubing around it that will do any good.

The heat shrink tube is a good idea. Yeah I never pull from the wire either yet it continues to tear. Mine is almost 360 degrees torn

Alexwithad

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
USA
Yeah it happened to mine too and I got my 3gs on launch day and like others it never moves from my night stand I don't wrap it up or anything. I pull from the plastic. I'm going to make an appointment and get a replacement, if I must I'll show them this thread.

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
I noticed that this was a softer shielding than previous wires I had... I still have my first gen wire and that is still in great shape but the new one that came with my 3GS is the one that tore.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
I literally have like 50 usb cables + like 15 firewire cables. I never even thought about ever running out of them as I am often having to find places to put all of em! ( I gotta big gallon freezer bag)

Almy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
My first cable did that at both ends and they replaced it for free. It's replacement did the same thing on one end, and they replaced it for free. I'm very good with my things. They definitely have a design flaw. But yeah make an appointment. If you have your warranty/apple care they'll take care of you.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Take it back and get a new one. I returned my first iPhone and the USB cable was in the box and my rabbit had taken a bite of the cable, and the Genius said how'd that happen? I said my bunny took one bite before I could get a hold of her. We laughed, I didn't tell a lie and the Genius said "it doesn't matter, I'll get you a new one for being honest." :p:p:p

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009

Thanks in advance.

They did for mine. It's covered by your normal warranty. So, as long as your phone is still under warranty, it will be replaced FOC.

GeneralP

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2009
There is a thread about this already. YES if you take it into an Apple store they will swap it out right there for you. I have done this 3 times (for 3 different devices) It is a known issue and they have paperwork they do when you swap them out.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
Monoprice.com. At their prices, buy about 20 of them and throw them out when they get worn. Where I'm at, it's not worth the gas to drive to the Apple store.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
apple gives you the worst, low grade piece of junk cables ever. my apple cord that came with the iphone basically started ripping a few weeks after i got it. just go to dealextreme or ebay for some cheap 1$ usb cords. they've lasted me MUCH longer than so called high quality apple crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.