Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nina

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Hey, guys! I'm in the market for more RAM for my Powerbook - is anyone running KingMax RAM with no problems? I found a local dealer that sells it for cheap ($142 CDN for a 512MB, DDR 333 SO-DIMM 200 Pin).

Also, if I do end up getting it, what's the best way to test the RAM?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
I don't think I've seen anyone using the BGA type RAM for their Apple notebook before. Crucial's pretty popular though.

The price you're getting for the KingMax RAM's really good, better than crucial's after the usual 5% discount. I'd say get it and try it out. KingMax says it's compatible w/ PBs using the PC2700 DDR.

You can test the RAM by running XBench, a Mac bench mark program that "tests" various components in your Mac. Unfortunately, there's no option for looping.

nina

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2004
FuzzyBallz said:
I don't think I've seen anyone using the BGA type RAM for their Apple notebook before. Crucial's pretty popular though.

The price you're getting for the KingMax RAM's really good, better than crucial's after the usual 5% discount. I'd say get it and try it out. KingMax says it's compatible w/ PBs using the PC2700 DDR.

You can test the RAM by running XBench, a Mac bench mark program that "tests" various components in your Mac. Unfortunately, there's no option for looping.

Thanks for the reply! The link was pretty interesting - that's the stick I'd be buying, so it's nice to see that it works in a 17" Powerbook. However, I'm still a little cautious, since this computer store is kinda notorious for returns. If someone could offer a definite vote of confidence for Kingmax compatability with their Powerbook, I'd be much more comfortable buying.

hung_yao

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2004
Hey, may I inquire where the local dealer is and the store name?

I'm from Vancouver, BC and desperately looking for a cheap source of name-brand RAM. So far, I've heard that I should avoid generic RAM like the plague.

Generic Ram goes for 135 a stick here.

I'm getting my first Mac, and I want the transition to go as smoothly as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.