Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:43 AM   #1
ee99ee
macrumors 6502

Erase and Sync? Uhhh...

So I just bought a new Macbook Pro (yes, it's very sexy) and sold my Macbook. I don't keep much music on my iPhone, so I manually manage it. Before I reformatted the old Macbook I exported my Podcast subscriptions in iTunes and was able to bring them back into iTunes on this system. That went well.

However, now when I connect and click "Manually manage my music and videos" in iTunes like I always do, I am prompted to erase and sync my iPhone. I do NOT want to erase it as I have alot of data (apps, contacts, existing music/podcasts, etc.). Erasing is simply not an option.

I found one workaround at the URL below, but I don't know the ID of the of the old iTunes Library ID.

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/3...computers.html

Is there a way to pull this from the iPhone? Maybe put it in disk mode or something?

Any help would be appreciated. I've looked on the forums and couldn't find a post that was this exact issue.

-Chris
ee99ee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 02:58 PM   #2
ee99ee
macrumors 6502

Anyone?

-Chris
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
Just use a program like Senuti to rip everything off your iPod and put it in your iTunes, and then you can erase everything without the fear of losing it all.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:25 PM   #4
ee99ee
macrumors 6502

Well it's not so much the music really... it's the apps. I don't want to have to re-download and install ALL my apps. What a pain!

-Chris
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:50 PM   #5
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
If your phone is jailbroken you can SSH and take the apps off of the phone that way.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 03:52 PM   #6
ee99ee
macrumors 6502

Not jail broken. I just need to figure out the iTunes ID of my old computer (of which I've already formatted) and change it to be the same on my new computer, and I'll be set.

Is this stored on the iPhone somewhere?

-Chris
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:21 PM   #7
ericksgotmac
macrumors regular

So what exactly happened? You forgot the email and password of the account on iTunes that you downloaded the Apps with?
ericksgotmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:29 PM   #8
ee99ee
macrumors 6502

No, I'm traveling and don't want to reload my entire iPhone. My connectivity is limited, plus it takes forever and is a pain to setup all my phone again.

I just bought a new mac, reformatted and sold the old one, but forgot to get the old iTunes ID.

-Chris
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:34 PM   #9
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
Why not just not manually manage music? Create a "iphone" playlist, and set that one only to sync.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:35 PM   #10
ee99ee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
Why not just not manually manage music? Create a "iphone" playlist, and set that one only to sync.
I'd love to. In fact, that's what I'm trying to do... but when I hit manually manage, it says I have to erase my entire iPhone!

Really, all I care about are the Podcasts.

-Chris

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod