Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:18 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Irish eyes aren't smiling as iPhone 3GS supplies constraine...

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Irish eyes aren't smiling as iPhone 3GS supplies constrained
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:32 AM   #2
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
For any Irish iPhone buyers - check out O2.ie.

They're quite good for informing users of incoming stock, and even reserving stock at the nearest store. Better than just going into one store and joining one waiting list.

p.s. still no sign of Visual Voicemail in Ireland, nor is it likely this year.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:03 AM   #3
ajbrehm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
For any Irish iPhone buyers - check out O2.ie.

They're quite good for informing users of incoming stock, and even reserving stock at the nearest store. Better than just going into one store and joining one waiting list.
Hahahahahahahaha!

Already tried that. They said they wouldn't inform if incoming stock and wouldn't reserve anything either. Told me just to go into stores and ask.

This is the reply I got from their customer disservice department:

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care by email (Query Number C129419).

Unfortunately the dealer locator option on o2.ie does not keep a record of the stock levels so you need to contact your local store who will be able to advise of delivery updates - they can notify you when new stock is expected but will be unable to reserve a device for you as these are sold on a first come first served basis

(So they don't know about stock levels and cannot reserve a device.)

In relation to your insurance query, if you file a claim for a lost/stolen phone, the phone is replaced by your insurance provider and not o2, so o2's stock levels would not have any baring on your claim

(I asked them about my phone insurance and how I would get a new phone if something happened to mine given that o2 are constantly out of stock. They did not actually answer the question. Where would the insurance provider get a new phone if not from o2???)

In regards to your roaming query, these charges are standardised within Europe so we cannot offer any further reductions here in regards to your call costs. You can however add a bundle to your account to cover any data roaming usage. Customers can purchase 50mb of roaming usage for €50 plus vat - this product would then be added to your account for a period of 3 months

(In the US you can travel the continent and avail of the free minutes you get with your plan plus Internet. In Europe you travel a few miles and suddenly you are legally far away from the home network, even though they are the same phone companies all over the continent too. But I love how they blame evil bureaucrats in Brussels for the high roaming rates. Poor phone companies aren't allowed to lower them because they are "standardised". I wonder if the CEO of o2 would be sent to prison if he dared to undermine the trust and offer 51 cents rather than 52 cents a minute!)

Last edited by ajbrehm; Aug 12, 2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: ,ll,l,
ajbrehm is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:46 AM   #4
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Instead of emailing them, you probably would be better posting in the forum linked above.

There's one sticky thread continually updated with the stock levels of shops around the country, and another where you can register your interest for an iPhone in a specific area, and O2 will allocate stock based on that interest.

They were a lot of help in getting my initial iPhone 3G, and in finding out when I'm due for upgrades, for reporting & responding to problems. I've found the online customer support from them exceptional (though with Irish customer support standards, being exceptional is rather easy.. )
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:08 PM   #5
ajbrehm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Instead of emailing them, you probably would be better posting in the forum linked above.

There's one sticky thread continually updated with the stock levels of shops around the country, and another where you can register your interest for an iPhone in a specific area, and O2 will allocate stock based on that interest.

They were a lot of help in getting my initial iPhone 3G, and in finding out when I'm due for upgrades, for reporting & responding to problems. I've found the online customer support from them exceptional (though with Irish customer support standards, being exceptional is rather easy.. )
It was their online customer support who sent me the stupid email.

Maybe they were helpful when you got your 3G, but now they are useless.

The only thing o2 could do to help their customers would be to give up their iPhone monopoly. I am sure the "shortages" would end as soon as other companies moved in.

Currently, o2 are just trying to keep customers by delaying upgrades to the last moment before the end of the monopoly.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:17 PM   #6
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Sorry to hear that, my experience with them was quite good.

Still, the stock thread is updated to give you a heads-up of when new shipments are going out, which shops are receiving new stock and which are sold out. And, from what I can see, in the "Register your interest" thread, most posts are replied to within an hour. Better than nothing I s'pose!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 03:34 PM   #7
ajbrehm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, my experience with them was quite good.

Still, the stock thread is updated to give you a heads-up of when new shipments are going out, which shops are receiving new stock and which are sold out. And, from what I can see, in the "Register your interest" thread, most posts are replied to within an hour. Better than nothing I s'pose!
I really don't feel like going to their forums and publicly register my demand for their products.

I would prefer it if o2, like all other companies, would simply order enough and sell the stuff in their shops.

Alternatively they can admit that they are incapable of handling this and leave it to another company.

I don't believe that there are iPhone shortages. If there were, we would hear about other places, not just Ireland.

Belgium seems to have enough iPhones.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:45 PM   #8
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

What I found funny was that in the O2 store in Tralee they struggled to get stock and said it would be weeks before they got stock. Walked 20 metres across the square and into CarPhoneWarehouse and they had a few in stock. O2 store was shocked that CPW got stock and O2 store couldn't...... silly and typically irish

Just a shame I think I got a faulty iphone 3gs..... it likes to turn itself off at random.
MacRumorUser is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion