Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:38 PM   #1
preppyclubguy
macrumors member

Apogee one vs Apogee Duet

I am a house, tech house minimal producer mainly usuing all software synths. I am curious which interface to purchase though between these two.. I dont records live instruments but I plan on purchasing a motif 6 or an access virus polar. As of right now Im using my pioneer dj mixer hooked up via stereo output on the back of my Imac which then i use the mixer to proccess sound to my 2 yamaha hs80m.(i know its a lil ghetto but pioneer dj mixers are 96khz so it is still good sound quality. Reason I want to purchase an Apogee is to clear up some desk space for the motif or virus. So is the one suitable for my needs or do I need a duet..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5929_1124182537370_1011322974_30467716_6262258_n.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	187759  
preppyclubguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:43 PM   #2
pooryou
macrumors 65816

Doesn't the One only have a mono input? Personally I would want at least stereo but it depends how you will use it. Myself I went for an Ensemble that I scored for $13xx on a MF refurb, works great.
pooryou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:47 PM   #3
MezicanGangxtah
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to MezicanGangxtah
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyclubguy View Post
I am a house, tech house minimal producer mainly usuing all software synths. I am curious which interface to purchase though between these two.. I dont records live instruments but I plan on purchasing a motif 6 or an access virus polar. As of right now Im using my pioneer dj mixer hooked up via stereo output on the back of my Imac which then i use the mixer to proccess sound to my 2 yamaha hs80m.(i know its a lil ghetto but pioneer dj mixers are 96khz so it is still good sound quality. Reason I want to purchase an Apogee is to clear up some desk space for the motif or virus. So is the one suitable for my needs or do I need a duet..
go for the duet it would work a lot better since it has stereo capability aswell as the ability to connect to your HS80M's without one of those, split cables, that are just a mess that you would have to use with the one
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:48 PM   #4
freddieje
macrumors newbie

One VS Duet

I recently did a comparison between Apogee's One and Duet. I also asked the question if the One has the same DAC as the Duet. Apogee did not give me the answer I was looking for, but they said that the "sound quality is equal". Under the same conditions, the sound quality was higher on the Duet (in my opinion), but not by much. You can read my full comparison of the two (including pictures) here.

http://onevsduet.blogspot.com

Hope this helps...
freddieje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:02 PM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4

You need stereo. Some of the samples in the motif are stereo (grand pianos) and don't sound good if the sum the two channels into mono

But why not go with mLAN. It will give you a direct digital audio link to the Motif without the analog steps. The quality has to be better than Apogee. The mLAN16E2 is priced in the ballpark too.

Last edited by ChrisA; Feb 1, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:50 PM   #6
rabbisound
macrumors newbie

I've owned a DUET and it's fabulous I upgraded to an Ensemble and missed the DUET so I skimped a little and bought a ONE, didn't like it at first now I love it as a sketch pad the built in mic is awesome and the inputs are great for either a mic or guitar/bass (one at a time) sound isn't bad it's not DUET/Ensemble preamps but they still sound really nice.
But I do miss two inputs at once like the DUET has. but not for STEREO recording.... what are you intending to record in stereo ? I can tell you the only thing recorded in stereo in your entire iTunes library was the drums and maybe some accoustic guitar - everything else practically is recorded mono - vocals, guitar, bass the dialogue in the movies you watch infact so are the sound effects it's in the mix that everything becomes stereo.. ust wanted to point that out because it's not AM/FM Mono Stereo in recording it's a different situation.
So if you like recording a channel at a time then the ONE is great and you can record your guitar/voice at the same time using it's MONO built in MIC as a first take then overdub the guitar and vocals with your own mic etc one track at a time.
When a DUET comes out with an inbuilt mic like the ONE has which it will I will buy because for me that will be an ENSEMBLE killer.
Also every single album you have in your collection was recorded 24/48 sure they may push them out at 24/96 for an SACD release etc but NO ONE records 24/96 to begin with.
So is the ONE cool - yeah, will the DUET2 be the best thing since sliced bread HELL YEAH !
If you use macs and Logic then stick with APOGEE.
rabbisound is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:52 PM   #7
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Duet wins in my mind if you have the cash to splash.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Jolly Jimmy
macrumors 65816

I have the ONE and it sounds great, including the built in mic, but I wish it had more outputs instead of just one mini headphone socket.
Jolly Jimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:02 AM   #9
BSTEboy50
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbisound View Post
I've owned a DUET and it's fabulous I upgraded to an Ensemble and missed the DUET so I skimped a little and bought a ONE, didn't like it at first now I love it as a sketch pad the built in mic is awesome and the inputs are great for either a mic or guitar/bass (one at a time) sound isn't bad it's not DUET/Ensemble preamps but they still sound really nice.
But I do miss two inputs at once like the DUET has. but not for STEREO recording.... what are you intending to record in stereo ? I can tell you the only thing recorded in stereo in your entire iTunes library was the drums and maybe some accoustic guitar - everything else practically is recorded mono - vocals, guitar, bass the dialogue in the movies you watch infact so are the sound effects it's in the mix that everything becomes stereo.. ust wanted to point that out because it's not AM/FM Mono Stereo in recording it's a different situation.
So if you like recording a channel at a time then the ONE is great and you can record your guitar/voice at the same time using it's MONO built in MIC as a first take then overdub the guitar and vocals with your own mic etc one track at a time.
Is this true about most tracks being recorded as mono? Sorry for the newb question - I'm in the process of deciding between the Apogee Duet and One as well, but I'm leaning towards the Duet because I thought I had to record my MicroKorg in stereo to get the the sound distinctions between the left & right channels? For example, some patches have a delay trails that differ between the left and right channels and I want to be able to capture that dynamic within a track. If this can be done through the mono input of the ONE then this will make my decision much easier...
BSTEboy50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:54 PM   #10
oldskool978
macrumors newbie

it all depends

The apogee Duet is great if its your only interface. the ONE has no monitor output's therefor it is not a smart decision to buy one unless you have a dedicated soundcard for your monitors. The DUET has an amazing pre-amp. I find myself bypassing my external pre-amp and adding a few plugins to the signal yet still having the same (if not better) fidelity then with the external pre. the pre in the DUET is transparent and musical. I have not experienced the ONE but I hear that it uses the same pre as the DUET (therefore the same pre as the ensemble.) The duet is worth 5 times what i paid for it. if your looking for something that will last you longer dont skimp, get the duet. if you want something thats (a little more) portable and you dont care about the duets amazing converters, go ONE.
oldskool978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:08 PM   #11
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
You need stereo. Some of the samples in the motif are stereo (grand pianos) and don't sound good if the sum the two channels into mono

But why not go with mLAN. It will give you a direct digital audio link to the Motif without the analog steps. The quality has to be better than Apogee. The mLAN16E2 is priced in the ballpark too.
The mLAN would not give the OP any output from the computer. All the mLAN could be used for is inputing the audio from the Motif.

When Yamaha came out with mLAN there was a lot of potential, however all it's really come to be is a proprietary digital IO.

If going between the two I would also suggest the duet. Although you should keep your options open. There are a number of other interfaces ranging in the same price with more features. Take a look at some of the interfaces by M-Audio, Presonus, and MOTU.
synth3tik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:35 PM   #12
Benguitar
macrumors 65816

From my point of view as a guitarist, The Apogee One is basically only for recording guitar/bass/vocals with ONE input.

For you, I'd personally recommend a Duet, Even I as a guitarist have recorded in stereo with my Duet when I have a friend over or etc.

Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:02 PM   #13
Jolly Jimmy
macrumors 65816

If I had the cash I would have gone for the Duet over the ONE. That said, the ONE is sufficient for my current needs and the built in mic sounds surprisingly good, and comes in very handy.
Jolly Jimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 06:04 PM   #14
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth3tik View Post
The mLAN would not give the OP any output from the computer. All the mLAN could be used for is inputing the audio from the Motif....
I thought the OP had asked for exactly that, a way to sample his Motif. If he only want s to rip the samples then I can't think of a better way.

If he wants a general purpose recording device by the Duet or something like it
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:46 PM   #15
hansgordy
macrumors newbie

My Take

I've owned both the Duet & the One.

The sound is very, very close. The One is outstanding. For me...the difference is nearly impossible to hear.

IMO...the stereo topic isn't important, unless you are feeding an old cassette deck or something into it.

I record all of my guitars and vocals in mono. They're a part of the mix, so it doesn't matter at all.

Really...the only thing that I don't like about the duet is that it has only one output. I don't get it. A product of this quality with only one stereo-out???

If money isn't a big issue...get the Duet. It has the same converters and technology as the Ensemble...which is strictly pro stuff. The One is one small step below that. A techie at Apogee told me that the firewire feed from the duet is slightly better than the USB feed from the One. Better sound...according to him.

The difference is really, really small.

hansgordy
hansgordy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:26 AM   #16
NicoleRichie
macrumors 6502

Slightly off topic... Any guesses on when there will be an update or refresh of the Duet?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:19 PM   #17
Z3B
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbisound View Post
what are you intending to record in stereo ? I can tell you the only thing recorded in stereo in your entire iTunes library was the drums and maybe some accoustic guitar - everything else practically is recorded mono -
What about synthesizers ?? Tons of synths, drum machines, and unconventional instruments should be recorded in stereo, (like the ipad, and the tenori-on ...and the list goes on...)
Z3B is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio