Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:14 PM   #1
spazit101
macrumors newbie

MBA w/ dual monitors

I just had a quick question for everyone who may know. I have been looking into buying 2 samsung monitors for my MBA. A problem arises there though. I only have one video output. I was wondering if i could possibly just split a VGA cable so I could run it to the 2 monitors. My question is, if i did that, do you think the computer would see it as 2 monitors, or would it just not detect it and just have it view as mirror images on both of them?
Any help would be great.
Thx guys

SPAZit101
spazit101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:18 PM   #2
robbieduncan

A VGA splitter will not work at all. You can get something like a Matrox DualHead2Go that will allow you to drive two external screens (they appear as a single large screen to the computer).
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:23 PM   #3
geoffreak
macrumors 68020

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:02 AM   #4
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

The MBA really isn't made for that. Although I say that, the Mac mini has the same GPU and yet has both DVI and Mini Display Port connections allowing two displays. Although the resolution of the DVI is only similar to 24" display settings while the other can drive up to 30"...

The problem is with the port capabilities, with Mini Display Port, you would only get the equivalent maximum capability of one displays resolution stretched over two displays, which wouldn't turn out to be 16x10???

Seems tough... interested to see what you find. Some of the most capable solutions were available on the prior generation MBPs that had Express Card slots. Having just one Mini Display Port and one USB port really is limiting, BUT I think there are some USB solutions too. You may want to check into that.

Again, not really the focus of the MBA. You could use a Mac mini as your "server" system and connect it to two displays like you want. You can buy a mini for $499 refurbished with the dual display capabilities.

EDIT
I should have added...
You can install a 30" ACD on that MBA with the Mini Display Port. They are on sale for $1299 in the refurbished section at Apple.com. Also, the 24" LED ACD is what I use. It can be had for $599 refurbished. It's the ultimate docking station for the MacBook Air. It has built in power for the MBA, USB hub, speakers, webcam, and the ultimate LED backlit Display. It's truly amazing... when I have my MBA connected to my 24" LED ACD, I feel like I am using a Mac Pro. It's super cool, and amazing that the little MBA can drive such a beautiful beastly display!
Good luck.
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreak View Post
The way to go with these for maximum resolution capabilities is the DP or Display Port versions. Although, it ends up being over $400 by the time you buy the Mini Display Port conversion cables and the system!

That's a lot of money... I would prefer just running one 30" ACD or even the 24" LED ACD.
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:57 AM   #6
spazit101
macrumors newbie

I'm asuming then a dvi splitter wouldn't work worth crap either then...
spazit101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air