Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Recently I have been using my iPod not only as an mp3 player, but also as a portable Hard Drive. I copy files fine, but I can’t transfer some of them to my computer (either Cube or Firewire iBook). Sometimes I’ll get an error -36 message, saying that some of the data could not be read or written following a one minute wait for the file to be attempted to transfer, which it doesn’t. I keep both the firewire cable and the iPod perfectly still when transferring data and when copying data. This stall is extremely annoying and I want to know how to avoid it, before I go back to using only CD-RWs :eek:

iPod 5GB
iPod OS 1.1
Doesn’t matter how much hard drive space I have left

G4 Cube 500MHz
OS 10.1.5
iTunes 2.0.4

iBook 466MHz (Firewire, Graphite)
OS 10.1.5
iTunes 2.0.x

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
hmmmmmm thats disurbing

I would think the iPod wpould be a truly reliable HD source. Unfortunately I don't have my Pod yet (waiting for the 40GB) but i'm sure some of the other guys in here can help you out, c'mon guys.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Error type -36 is a "File System Errors" or an I/O error. Does it only happen within OS X, or does it do it from 9 as well?? Is it just on one of the systems, or from both?? When was the last time you did some maintenance on those puppies???

Well queenie??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :cool:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
I haven't EVER used OS 9 with the iPod, so I have no idea what that would be like. I have the CD software for the iPod drivers, if I need to install iPod for OS 9.

When I copy information from the Cube to the iPod to the iBook, I get the same errors as when I transfer from the iBook to the iPod to the Cube.

>maintenance
Meaning what? Doing a clean install of the OS?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by King Cobra
When I copy information from the Cube to the iPod to the iBook, I get the same errors as when I transfer from the iBook to the iPod to the Cube.

>maintenance
Meaning what? Doing a clean install of the OS?

Maintenance as in utilities QC. :eek: Even a fsck -y might yield some answers. Try that on both computers, and iPod (if possible).

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Listen, Techie. :D

I'm not that experienced as you, so...

By utilities, I assume you mean Norton. I haven't used NU before, so what do I look for? If not Norton, then what should I run?

What is fsck -y? What is that supposed to do?

How can I make it work on the iPod?

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
I have sensed a lot of arrogance around Macrumors. I wish Mac users would not only be smarter :) but also friendlier to "newbies"
or anyone who knows less then them.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by King Cobra
I'm not that experienced as you, so...

By utilities, I assume you mean Norton. I haven't used NU before, so what do I look for? If not Norton, then what should I run?

What is fsck -y? What is that supposed to do?

Okay queenie... :p :D

IF you pick up Norton, get NSW2 (it includes the latest version of NAV). If you already own NAV 7, then you should qualify for an upgrade price for NSW. Other utilities that I use are DiskWarrior 2 and TechTool Pro 3. They all have their strenghts and weeknesses... I leve NUM optimize/defrag my drives, and have the others do their things (I don't let TTP defrag, check for viruses, or compatibility since that ALWAYS comes up with things that we know work together).

For the fsck -y, boot while holding down the Apple+s keys and then type that in when you can... it does a file system check (duuhhhh :p). If it comes up with anything, run it again to make sure it actually did repair it. I would run that after you do the other utilities (if you have them).

You can also boot into the open firmware (Apple+option+o+f) and then type in "reset-all". The computer will restart right away, and come back normally. You could also zap the PRAM, to see if that helps as well. The Apple+option commands work for any OS... (9 or X).

That help you better queenie??? :eek: :eek: :p :D :cool:

Oh, and elensil, grow a thicker skin... or you will be forever cowering in the corner... :eek: :D

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Apparently, at the house, we do not have the latest version of Norton. It may be a few days or even longer until my father picks it up for me, seeing as we are struggling with bills and other things. Somewhere in the house is Norton Ut. 5 and Antivirus 6. Do I need to run the latest version of the software, or would what I have do fine?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Do NOT run those on any system with OS 9.x or higher (that includes OS X ya freak :eek: ).

Make the man purchase the latest versions, ASAP. You can actually order direct from Symantec, AND get it at the update price (without having to deal with mail in rebates). Run them off the cd, do NOT install anything except for NAV onto the systems.

Get it? Got it? good...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Roger, Techie. :D

I should get back to you and anyone else who has some advice in a few days, that is, after I get both computers defragged and all the little fsck -y stuff. :cool:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
You can run the fsck -y now, and then again after you run the other utilities. It might only need that, so it's worth a shot before you shell out the cash in a rush to get NSW2.

Also, reset the firmware, and zap your pram, Bubba... :D

BTW, how are your crabs doing??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :D

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
chewbacca, I suppose you could have done worse...err...better! :eek: :D

For all you literal people, I realize it hasn't been a few days yet, so don't bother pointing that out. :)

All right. I tried everything except the Norton stuff, and I have gotton the same errors. However, my father says he doesn't have the money to get me SystemWorks. And, since we're going back to Maine later in the month for vacation and house work (in Sweden), he may not be able to pick me up a copy until August or September. Once I get it, though, I'll let you know if it helped any.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Can the iPod boot in Traget Disk Mode? If it can, have you tried that? You will need to install a basic system on it. Just the core OS 9 will work.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
How do I use OS 9 on the iPod to help transfer files that the iPod OS 1.1 couldn't do? Would OS 9 interfere with the iPod OS? How does target disk mode work? How do I find out if it works or not?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
hmmmmmm thats disurbing

I would think the iPod wpould be a truly reliable HD source. Unfortunately I don't have my Pod yet (waiting for the 40GB) but i'm sure some of the other guys in here can help you out, c'mon guys.

iPod... 8000 songs in your pocket
:rolleyes:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

iPod... 8000 songs in your pocket
:rolleyes:

Who the **** needs that many songs in their pocket at a time??? You won't be able to listen to that much before needing to recharge it (too many times to even think about), as well as go for that hearing aid. :eek: :eek:

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by AlphaTech

Who the **** needs that many songs in their pocket at a time??? You won't be able to listen to that much before needing to recharge it (too many times to even think about), as well as go for that hearing aid. :eek: :eek:

So true... I have to admit, though, that I understand that TyleRomeo might want 40Gb for HDD room and only a few gig for music.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
So true... I have to admit, though, that I understand that TyleRomeo might want 40Gb for HDD room and only a few gig for music.

Then he should get an iPod in the size that he wants for music, and an external hard drive for storage. I have the 5GB iPod for music, and external firewire hard drives for storage (three of them so far). That way, I plug whichever one I need to access into the computer when I need to. I can chain them, so that I can have all three hard drives, and the iPod connected if I want to. I also have a firewire cdrw drive, which is great for burning since it is a 24x (~3 minute 700MB burns).

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
All right. I have tried running Norton AV and DD (Disk Doctor) from SystemWorks 2 on both my Cube and the iBook I have, then I ran all the fsck -y etc. stuff on both computers after they were checked and I keep getting the same error, -36.

Should I scan the iPod with Norton, or is there something better I should do?

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Originally posted by Beej
Can the iPod boot in Traget Disk Mode? If it can, have you tried that? You will need to install a basic system on it. Just the core OS 9 will work.

This is nonsense. A computer or laptop can boot in target disk mode, thus impersonating an external firewire hard drive. But the iPod IS an external firewire hard drive!

You can not install OS 9 on an iPod and then make the iPod boot into OS 9, simply because the iPod is not a Macintosh computer. The iPod has a dedicated OS.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by pianojoe
You can not install OS 9 on an iPod and then make the iPod boot into OS 9, simply because the iPod is not a Macintosh computer. The iPod has a dedicated OS.
Heh... you're right. I wasn't thinking straight. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.