Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:46 AM   #1
JohnFa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Authorizing more than 5 computers in iTunes?

I've reached my 5 computer limit of authorization. Problem is, I've only used two computers as I have been reinstalled Windows a few times this past year. Is there any way to get around this, or will it mean I won't be able to sync my phone correctly anymore?
__________________
i hate todays youth... with a passion
JohnFa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:48 AM   #2
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
If you contact the iTunes Store support nicely they can reset all your authorisations returning it to 0. You can then re-authorise your current 2 computers.

And in future remember to de-authorise before reinstalling Windows
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Julien
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFa View Post
I've reached my 5 computer limit of authorization. Problem is, I've only used two computers as I have been reinstalled Windows a few times this past year. Is there any way to get around this, or will it mean I won't be able to sync my phone correctly anymore?
There is a way to reset and start all over. You will then have 5 and need to authorize your current 2 and have 3 left.

Always deauthorize before re-installing or changing computers.
Julien is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:50 AM   #4
philgilder
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK
2nd: here
__________________
SJ Our belief was that if we kept putting great products in front of customers, they would continue to open their wallets So THATS why I have no money

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Aug 13, 2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Removed useless link
philgilder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Kahnyl
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Log in to your account in iTunes. On the page with your details like CC and address etc. there's an option to deautorise all five machines. It only appears when you've gotten to four or five authorisations.
Kahnyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Stampyhead
macrumors 68020
 
Stampyhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnyl View Post
Log in to your account in iTunes. On the page with your details like CC and address etc. there's an option to deautorise all five machines. It only appears when you've gotten to four or five authorisations.
I it also only lets you do it once a year, so if you've done it already in the past twelve months the option will not show up.
Stampyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:59 AM   #7
JohnFa
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Thanks for all the tips and info guys! I've always forgot to deauthorize the accounts before reinstalling. Never even thought of it actually.

Thank you!
__________________
i hate todays youth... with a passion
JohnFa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:08 AM   #8
Kahnyl
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampyhead View Post
I it also only lets you do it once a year, so if you've done it already in the past twelve months the option will not show up.
Didn't know that. I haven't deauthorised iTunes a couple of times because I figured the option would always be there. Thanks for the info.
Kahnyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Eso
macrumors 68000
 
Eso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
And in future remember to de-authorise before reinstalling Windows
Um, no thanks. It's extremely user-unfriendly to require something like that - not to mention conceited.

Frankly, this "authorized" computer business in iTunes is antiquated. All iTunes content is now DRM free, correct (or is at least working towards that)? If it is DRM free, there is no need to authorize devices or computers.
Eso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:39 PM   #10
outphase
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso View Post
Um, no thanks. It's extremely user-unfriendly to require something like that - not to mention conceited.

Frankly, this "authorized" computer business in iTunes is antiquated. All iTunes content is now DRM free, correct (or is at least working towards that)? If it is DRM free, there is no need to authorize devices or computers.
Yeah, that "De-authorize Computer" option in the iTunes menu is so unfriendly.

Apps are still DRMed. Music is not.
outphase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:41 PM   #11
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso View Post
Um, no thanks. It's extremely user-unfriendly to require something like that - not to mention conceited.
How else would you enforce a 5 computer limit?

Quote:
Frankly, this "authorized" computer business in iTunes is antiquated. All iTunes content is now DRM free, correct (or is at least working towards that)? If it is DRM free, there is no need to authorize devices or computers.
Music is DRM-free. Video and apps still use DRM.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:43 PM   #12
Eso
macrumors 68000
 
Eso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by outphase View Post
Yeah, that "De-authorize Computer" option in the iTunes menu is so unfriendly.
Yeah it is - when you have to remember to launch iTunes and de-authorize your computer before you reformat. Or before your OS won't boot. Or before your hard drive goes bad. Or before your laptop gets stolen.
Eso is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Eso
macrumors 68000
 
Eso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
How else would you enforce a 5 computer limit?



Music is DRM-free. Video and apps still use DRM.
The point is WHY would you enforce a 5-computer limit if there is no DRM? Video and apps should also be DRM free. But then again, this is Apple we are talking about, the company that tries to protect users from their own (assumed) stupidity.
Eso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:50 PM   #14
Kahnyl
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
There's no chance of DRM-free purchased movies anytime soon, mainly because people would be much more likely to pirate something that costs twenty dollars than something that costs them $1.30 and the studios aren't buzzed about providing nice clean encodes for the net to share.

And they obviously need DRM for rentals.
Kahnyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:51 PM   #15
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso View Post
The point is WHY would you enforce a 5-computer limit if there is no DRM?
There is DRM.

Quote:
Video and apps should also be DRM free.
Should be. But they are not.

Quote:
But then again, this is Apple we are talking about, the company that tries to protect users from their own (assumed) stupidity.
Do you really believe it is Apple insisting on DRM for video?
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Eso
macrumors 68000
 
Eso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnyl View Post
There's no chance of DRM-free purchased movies anytime soon, mainly because people would be much more likely to pirate something that costs twenty dollars than something that costs them $1.30 and the studios aren't buzzed about providing nice clean encodes for the net to share.

And they obviously need DRM for rentals.
Explain how "authorizing" a computer would be needed instead of just logging in with an Apple ID. DRM content can only be played through iTunes or quicktime. So, in order for a person to share the content they would also have to share their Apple ID log in information.
Eso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:07 PM   #17
BENI
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
you can reset all your authorizations quite simply and then just reauthorize the ones you like I don't think you can just keep the ones you want though you have to reset all of them.
BENI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:09 PM   #18
Kahnyl
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso View Post
Explain how "authorizing" a computer would be needed instead of just logging in with an Apple ID. DRM content can only be played through iTunes or quicktime. So, in order for a person to share the content they would also have to share their Apple ID log in information.
I don't know technically what authorisation does so I can't compare the two methods. I might venture a guess that whatever it does sounds better to
Apple's content providers than a simple login system.
Kahnyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:13 PM   #19
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso View Post
Explain how "authorizing" a computer would be needed instead of just logging in with an Apple ID. DRM content can only be played through iTunes or quicktime. So, in order for a person to share the content they would also have to share their Apple ID log in information.
Because you can't limit a song to 5 computers if you can just login anywhere you want without keeping track of authorized computers.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:20 PM   #20
SuBGirL
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Thank you for the helpful tips regarding this matter, i was wondering what i was going to do if i ever reached my limit of 5 computers.

Also...authorizing/deauthorizing and signing in and out of itunes for each person using the same comp does not stop bought apps from being shared.

My boyfriend has an iphone and i have an ipod touch. His iphone was synched to his comp..which died..and my ipod was synched to my comp. When he moved in with me we wanted to synch his iphone to my comp and after spending almost 6 weeks surfing the net to see if it was possible we just bit the bullet and went for it, and it worked. However, we seemed to be sharing the same library..mainly because we had no idea what we were doing..so after his iphone had been backed up and i logged on to my account i was somehow able, accidently, to install all of his bought songs and apps (about 300 worth) onto my ipod. I'm still not entirely sure how we did it and i wouldn't know how to do it again, but if Apple are making things so hard for everyone so they can try to prevent people sharing bought apps and music between their friends, they're failing miserably lol.
SuBGirL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:43 AM   #21
OneRyt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso View Post
Um, no thanks. It's extremely user-unfriendly to require something like that - not to mention conceited.

Frankly, this "authorized" computer business in iTunes is antiquated. All iTunes content is now DRM free, correct (or is at least working towards that)? If it is DRM free, there is no need to authorize devices or computers.
Agreed. The idea that I can't use as many devices as I like... Well... that right there is restricting an aspect of freedom. Wtf? What if I have an iPod, an iTouch, an iPhone, an iPad and multiple macs in my house? What if I use each device for different particular circumstances?

it's ludicrous.
OneRyt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:52 AM   #22
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRyt View Post
Agreed. The idea that I can't use as many devices as I like... Well... that right there is restricting an aspect of freedom. Wtf? What if I have an iPod, an iTouch, an iPhone, an iPad and multiple macs in my house? What if I use each device for different particular circumstances?

it's ludicrous.
You can sync as many devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV) as you want. The 5 computer limit is only for Macs and Windows PCs.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:30 AM   #23
nuarva
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I changed the power supply, motherboard and intel cpu but used back the same hard disk and desktop casing. itunes prompt me to authorise my computer for itunes store. How can this be? the hard disk is still the same hard disk. i hope my itunes account has not been hijacked and someone else is using it?
nuarva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:22 PM   #24
ghamauricio
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I think all of this authorization limits is nonsense. What if you have more then 5 computers? What if you account all the computers in your home, plus the one in your work, and the one in your holiday house or something that will account for more then 5?

Also, there should be an option to LIST all the authorizations that computer has. Or will you have to remember you authorized your own account, plus your sister's for some reason, and your naphew's or something?

As has already been commented, there is always the possibility of windows going kaputt, or your HD doing so, or your laptop being stolen or something.

This is all ridiculous!
ghamauricio is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:38 PM   #25
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuarva View Post
I changed the power supply, motherboard and intel cpu but used back the same hard disk and desktop casing. itunes prompt me to authorise my computer for itunes store. How can this be? the hard disk is still the same hard disk. i hope my itunes account has not been hijacked and someone else is using it?
It's based on a Hash - not just your hard drive - you change enough components and the authorization system cannot tell your computer from another one by the same manufacturer.

Hard drives are way too generic to be used as the qualifier - they need to be able to tell your system from another - Windows does the exact same thing with it's anti-piracy scheme in Windows.

Last edited by pdjudd; Jun 14, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typos
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iTunes not authorizing New Mac after deauthorizing ALL prior. GrafikFeat Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Jan 30, 2014 09:19 PM
Authorizing a Digital Download Movie through iTunes Slip Jigs iCloud and Apple Services 3 Jul 7, 2013 11:37 AM
iTunes and multiple computers helveta Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Oct 5, 2012 02:57 PM
Itunes Authorizing computers Bilalo Mac Basics and Help 1 Sep 2, 2012 12:48 AM
Authorizing/deauthorizing computers and moving iTunes movies to new computers txinternational Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Jun 28, 2012 02:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC