Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:56 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Will an Apple iPad/iTablet kill the MacBook Air?

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Will an Apple iPad/iTablet kill the MacBook Air?
Description:: The biggest surprise about the rumored iPad/iTablet would be if it never actually arrived. After all, despite a ton of press coverage, Apple hasnít even announced such a product.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:05 PM   #2
ditzy
macrumors 68000

As I have no idea what the Apple tablet will do I can't really say if this is true or not. But if I had to guess, I would say that the products are very different. If I wanted an ultra-portable I don't think a tablet would sway my choice.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 09:41 PM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G5

No it won't.

A MacBook air is a conventional computer for working with conventional apps. I can do my Photoshop and Lightwave and Flash work on it, type long proposals quickly, and play Halo.

An Apple tablet, if it's any good, won't try to "sort of" do those things, it will do new things, or at least do them in new ways. That's what's needed to make a tablet actually be BETTER at some things instead of worse. And that's exactly how the iPhone works, so I have high hopes for the tablet (if it's real).

That said, I wouldn't mind at all if the tablet could also run Mac apps in a pinch. But it could never replace a real MacBook.

And I think Apple might well not put the time and expense into making the device run both a touch OS and Mac OS X, when the platform needs its OWN apps in order to survive and be really usable. Letting it run conventional Mac apps would be shooting the project in the foot, I think. At least at first. They'd be a poor experience, just like every other tablet, and at the same time it would take away some of the incentive to develop REAL iPhone-style apps for it.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Burnsey
macrumors 6502a

I can't see how a tablet can replace a conventional computer, a tablet fits a certain niche, as does the ultra portable macbook air.

 15" Macbook Pro 2.33GHZ C2D, 2GB Ram, 256mb X1600
Burnsey is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2009, 07:59 AM   #5
reverie
macrumors regular

Actually the Air will eventually kill the MacBook and MacBook Pro, as disc drives become obsolete.
reverie is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:35 AM   #6
asphyxiafeeling
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to asphyxiafeeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie View Post
Actually the Air will eventually kill the MacBook and MacBook Pro, as disc drives become obsolete.
I was thinking the same thing; except that i figured they would just discontinue the air as technology allows you to pack same amount of power in a macbook pro into the same form factor as the air. (as well as other things, like the death of the disc drive)

that won't happen for some time though.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:38 AM   #7
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
The iPad. Sorry I couldn't help myself.
Attached Images

Last edited by jmann; Aug 14, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
jmann is offline   0
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:43 AM   #8
uberamd
macrumors 68030

Thats like asking if the creation of the burrito will kill hamburgers. Sure, both are food, but they appeal to entirely different audiences. In short: no.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Takuta-Nui
macrumors regular

I'd hope not. Unless the Tablet actually does everything a MBA does and more, it seems unlikely. Once I can support myself, I anticipate buying a MBA for light-duty work (like writing). If the Tablet is anything like what it's been espoused to be, I probably would dislike writing on it. Even worse if my options vanish and I have to go with either a full MacBook Pro or a Tablet.

Seems to me that Apple is all about giving computer users options.

Stay-At-Home Work/Entertainment - iMac
Heavy-Duty Portability - MacBook Pro
Light-Duty Portability - MacBook Air

And the iPhone is in there somewhere for people who want to combine worlds and get a little bit of each. To me, it makes sense that the Tablet would do something else. If it's simply a go-between for a MacBook and an iPhone, I have my doubts.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 05:23 PM   #10
tempusfugit
macrumors 65816

I really don't think theres a big difference between your 13" MB and an MBA. The dimensions are roughly the same. I think it would be a huge waste of money to have both an aluminum macbook and a macbook air. The former would out-perform the latter in most cases and isn't really any less portable if you're able bodied.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 06:43 PM   #11
jnc
macrumors 68020

If it's just a bigger iPod touch, no.

If it's an official ModBook, yes. For me at least.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 07:15 PM   #12
amiganut
macrumors member

Lightwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
No it won't.

A MacBook air is a conventional computer for working with conventional apps. I can do my Photoshop and Lightwave and Flash work on it, type long proposals quickly, and play Halo.
Is that the same Lightwave that was written for the Amiga?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:37 AM   #13
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiganut View Post
Is that the same Lightwave that was written for the Amiga?
A distant descendant, yes.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Aug 16, 2009, 02:47 AM   #14
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Just like the macbook macbook pro, imac, mini, air, etc..

Each item has a different audience so I don't see product A killing B
OneMike is offline   0
Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:59 PM   #15
dadoffour
macrumors newbie

Hopefully, Apple has also thought about the business market which they have tried for many years to crack.

This product could be it -

A portable touchscreen handheld with stylus capability (for capturing signatures) with WIFI that runs iPhone applications (or better yet would be the full MacOS or an even more capable iPhone OS). Businesses are creating apps for internal use for the iPhone. This device makes that more practical in the enterprise. Businesses would use this for data entry/collection in all sorts of situations. WIFI enables collection/input/query of data and connection to corporate database servers. Add a front and back camera for potential for facial recognition software development for security applications and for video conferencing. An expansion slot to enable device modules like scanners to be plugged in.

The possibility for business is endless. I am sure they will be targeting the consumer. I am hoping for both.

--Lon Weiss
dadoffour is offline   0
Old Aug 17, 2009, 04:06 PM   #16
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
A distant descendant, yes.

--Eric
In fact, the first 3D modeling software I ever used was Lightwave on Amiga before it was even CALLED Lightwave. I used Modeler 3D from Aegis, before NewTek bought it and rolled it into the Video Toaster as Lightwave.

It's cool that it has thrived for so long. It's still my 3D tool of choice.
nagromme is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion