Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:42 PM   #1
eimerej
macrumors newbie

Bought an apple cinema display 20" off ebay and all i get is the "?" folder

Have an old g4 tower (Running Tiger) with a card that accepts ADC, bought an old 20" display with ADC connector and I cant seem to get it to work! All I get is the "?" folder and it doesnt go anywhere. Is there some sort of software that i might need before I can get it to work? Any other ideas? Hopefully its not a bad display...

EDIT: Problem solved, thanks folks

Last edited by eimerej; Aug 16, 2009 at 02:00 PM.
eimerej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:09 PM   #2
pmcb
macrumors member

doesnt sound like a problem with the display...have you tried putting in your os x discs and booting off that?

doesn't the ? folder mean that you don't have os x installed?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Sounds like a bad hard drive. Try booting from your install disc and then run Disk Utility. You may need to re-install OS X
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:16 PM   #4
eimerej
macrumors newbie

Doesnt seem to be an os problem because I normally run the computer on an apple CRT, and it works just fine! I guess it may have been a fluke and I'll have to try it again tonight...
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Yes actually it does seem to be an OS problem.
The new display turns on and displays the blinking question mark at boot, therefore the display is fine. Your computer apparently can't find the startup volume. Try holding down option at boot and see if your hard drive is displayed as a boot option.

This is not a display issue. It's merely a coincidence that it happened after you got the new display as far as I can tell.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:26 PM   #6
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth.Titan View Post
Yes actually it does seem to be an OS problem.
The new display turns on and displays the blinking question mark at boot, therefore the display is fine. Your computer apparently can't find the startup volume. Try holding down option at boot and see if your hard drive is displayed as a boot option.

This is not a display issue. It's merely a coincidence that it happened after you got the new display as far as I can tell.
Agreed, it is definitely not a display problem. Perhaps put in your install disks and boot from them (Holding 'C' after the startup sound) and then checking Disk Utility to see what's up with the hard drive.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:30 PM   #7
eimerej
macrumors newbie

Ok, very strange coincidence then. After trying the lcd display, I replugged in my old vga crt this morning and it booted up no problem at all. Don't get offended i'm not trying to argue with you, I just want to know if there is any other possibility. I'm at work now but I will try what you suggested when I get home.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:59 PM   #8
eimerej
macrumors newbie

Just wanted to report back and say that I plugged the display back in and booted up with zero problems. Screen looks great so you guys were right, must have been some very strange coincidence. Thanks everyone

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals