Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarahhargraves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
I got my Macbook Air about 3 weeks ago and love it. However after the first 2 weeks, one day I turned it on and it was making a loud grating, spinning noise. The noise could be equated to if you try to play a CD but it hasn't been secured in the CD player fully so its banging around. But of course I have no disc drive...

So I stopped using it, tried turning it off and on again a couple of times over the next few days to no avail. I'm about to go back and demand a new one, but yesterday I turn it on and it's suddenly stopped making the noise.

My question is, is this problem likely to return, and is it due to a defective laptop? Should I see about exchanging it while it's still brand new or just wait and see if it happens again?

sarahhargraves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
"Demand". That's a great idea...

The only spinning thing in it would be the hard drive, so if that's the case, you should probably get that drive swapped.

That's what I figured it was, but do you think it could have been a fluke that has now resolved itself?

And YES I would have (politely) demanded a new one, because a 2 wk old laptop with no wear and tear on it shouldn't sound like a broken washing machine. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.